Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 September 1998
I use it as as an authority on grammar, punctuation, and style. This wire-bound, mid-size reference is a gem. It contains almost everything--if not everything--I have ever had to look up. It is concise, making it an easy read. Despite its being concise, Jan Venolia gives thorough, comprehendable explanations of the way words are supposed to be put together.
This book exemplifies its title.
on 5 September 2003
This is jam-packed with tips, rules and common mistakes. It is extremely readable and very precise without being too indepth. It's a great size too; small and neat and can easily be carried around. I keep it in close reach for easy reference.
on 21 February 2010
Like the copy editor I'm a writing professional too and I wouldn't want to be without this book, which is a real gem. I had the first edition in the late '80s and have just given it to my daughter, so this will be my second copy. I have stacks of English reference books but always come back to this one because it gives clear and concise explanations and has an excellent structure and index. I find it's all I ever need and I make sure it's never far from my desk.
on 30 November 2011
This book is great for anyone that needs to learn English Grammar. It is not dry and boring. It can be, dare I say it - fun! It also good if you wish to broaden your vocabulary and to be listened to with respect without using profanities. The book is full of ideas to budding writers to write descriptively.
on 10 March 2011
This book was recommended by an editor on his blog and so I bought it. I needed a definitive guide on the rules of paragraphing dialogue and narrative within dialogue. Regrettably this book doesn't cover that subject at all. If you want a book with all the basics: commas, apostrophes, speech marks etc. then this will do. Anything beyond that, look elsewhere.
on 31 May 2010
Simple and easy way to solve your grammatical and non-grammatical doubts, while providing reasons why.
No need to read it as a novel, it come to help when you need it.
on 30 January 2013
Ideal for those considering a course in Proof Reading as it helps with some of the English fundamentals that you may have forgotten from school.
on 23 May 2016
A great wee book: A must for every desk.
on 24 December 2015