Worlds of Dissent Hardcover – 3 Apr 2012
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Arab Spring saw more than 300,000 protesters in Cairo's Tahrir Square bring down Hosni Mubarak. But did these protesters represent the average Egyptians who stayed home? Writing about another equinox--the 1968 Prague Spring that introduced liberal reforms to communist Czechoslovakia and provoked a Soviet crackdown--Jonathan Bolton examines in Worlds of Dissent how revolutionaries speak for a nation...The author's nuanced view of Czech activism is helpful in understanding the Middle East's blithely named "Facebook revolutions" as they enter their second year. --Justin Moyer Washington Post 20120511
...a new and welcome type of narrative about dissent, one that respects but does not exaggerate its place in the history of Communism... ...Bolton is a careful reader of primary texts, and has an original take on even the most famous of them... ...Focusing on the period up to 1980, Jonathan Bolton is writing about dissent in its darkest hour, when it seemed most isolated and thus most pressed to justify itself.... ..'Worlds of Dissent' shows the direction further studies should follow to fill in the picture. --Kieran Williams, Times Literary Supplement, Friday 8th June 2012
About the Author
Jonathan Bolton is Professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures at Harvard University.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Political History > Marxism & Communism
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Government & Politics > Countries & Regions > Europe