Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 November 2014
This is a most thoughtful idea translated into a most appealing book for children of a considerable age span – probably from around 4 years with guidance and into the early teens. Like so many great ideas it is essentially simple in its concept. Whether used as a focus for discussion in the classroom, read to younger children or read by the older ones, it will stimulate minds in the most entertaining way. The Global Village is here given fresh and colourful meaning. Again, like the best of children’s books, it will exercise plenty of pull on the attention of adults. Highly recommended.
on 2 March 2010
This is a great book to help children - and adults - to understand unequal divisions and access to resources on a global scale. I do think, however, that it needs to be updated. I have given this book to many teachers who haven't heard of it. It really does spell it out in a very easy to understand way.
on 3 March 2017
A fantastic way to expire global issues that presents data in a easily understandable way.
on 17 September 2011
My daughter have read this book together on-and-off since she was 4 (she's now nearly 9). Dont be mistake, it's not a story book. It's a book of world facts translated into illustrated pages stating: If the world were a village of 100 people... then this many would be healthy, ill, rich, poor, old, young, literate, homeowners, travelled, etc ... and that means ...

We often don't get to the end, and sometimes just open in half way through, because the statements spark questions which lead to rich, worthy conversations.

If you want a break from fairytales and an opportunity to ground your children with some broader thinking, I recommend this book. Enjoy! :)
on 19 January 2014
I was given this book when I was 8 years old, and 10 years on, I still have the occasional flick through it. The data might be out of date now, but it's more the message behind the data that I find truly inspirational.

It presents the world in a very clever format: simplifying concepts for young minds to understand; yet it generates a great deal of curiosity upon a young and impressionable mind and allows young people to question the world in which they live.

This book started my great fascination for global issues, and evoked a commitment to improving the world for the better. Shortly after reading this book, I encouraged my classmates to fundraise with me for the Indian Ocean Tsunami appeal of 2004, and have since been involved in many charitable efforts. More recently, I have volunteered for various NGOs and see this as an ideal career path in the future. I will be off to study Geography at university this September and this book has largely shaped that decision due to having such a profound effect on me at a young age.

An absolute must read, for all ages!
on 3 June 2017
I love both the written and picture content. A facinating and educational book for all ages
on 9 January 2010
I'm a primary teacher and am using this book as a basis for a topic with my Year 5s. It is an excellent way to help children to understand facts and figures about the world we live in.
on 4 August 2014
A wonderful and thought-provoking book, which every child (and every adult!) should read. Such a brilliant way to help us all understand the nature and the scale of the inequalities which still exist in the the world. An invaluable addition to my school's library.
on 14 August 2015
Part of me was hoping for more of a detailed book, but I bought this because I intended to use it in my maths lessons (I'm a secondary school maths teacher) and it gives some great info to make resources for pupils at school. REally helps them visualise percentages and ratio. Some kids did comment though, that "Clean air? It's a village, if one of them has clean air they all do... villages aren't that big!"
on 27 January 2015
Brilliant book - if ever you, or anyone you know - old or young - needs to give a thought to how fortunate we are here in the west, then this book is the answer - we should count our blessings much more!

PS: Counting your blessings is, according to current thought, one of the best ways to help you feel happier with your life, so it's got that going for it too!