- Paperback: 272 pages
- Publisher: Routledge; 2 edition (5 Mar. 2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0415466121
- ISBN-13: 978-0415466127
- Product Dimensions: 24.6 x 17 x 1.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
427,882 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #229 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Sociolinguistics
- #894 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics
- #1629 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference
- See Complete Table of Contents
World Englishes: A Resource Book for Students (Routledge English Language Introductions) Paperback – 5 Mar 2009
There is a newer edition of this item:
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"English as a World Language is an eclectic area of study: its complexity should not be underestimated and the sensitivities which surround it should not be taken lightly. It is in achieving the balance between accessibility and providing a pathway through a complex set of issues which is done so well in the latest edition of World Englishes. Students and lecturers can be assured that they are in good hands with Jennifer Jenkins as their guide through the varied terrain of English as a World Language." Michael Hughes, Senior Lecturer of English Language, University of Kent, UK
"The additional sections on Singlish and English as a Lingua Franca bring to this edition the latest linguistic, sociolinguistic and theoretical developments in the buoyant field of World Englishes. The new content and revised activities - which encourage students to pursue informed and comparative explorations of Englishes across key geo-political sociolinguistic contexts - make this edition a state of the art resource book." Roshni Mooneeram, Head of English Studies, University of Nottingham Ningbo, China
"World Englishes provides a wonderful resource for introducing students to this rapidly growing field. It covers most, if not all, of the crucial topics in a clear and well-organized format: history, theory, established Englishes and emerging varieties, linguistic structures, debates on teaching and learning, etc. I particularly like the insightfully designed activities and discussion points, which train students to be active and critical readers, and in turn prepares them for reviewing further literature beyond this text." Katherine Chen, Assistant Professor, School of English, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
"References to materials straight out of everyday life--emails, speech transcripts, newspapers--make the content easily accessible to those interested in English as a world language. Recommended."
About the Author
Jennifer Jenkins is Professor of English Language at the University of Southampton, UK.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I'm using this book in a class at university, at it works very well as a way to get the general idea and then combining it with other books.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Languages
- Books > Reference > Language
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Sociolinguistics