- Paperback: 562 pages
- Publisher: Routledge; 1 edition (2 May 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0805857117
- ISBN-13: 978-0805857115
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 3.2 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
1,452,842 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #458 in Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Sociology of Work
- #1047 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Occupational & Industrial Psychology
- #1087 in Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Management Skills > Teams
- See Complete Table of Contents
Work, Happiness, and Unhappiness Paperback – 2 May 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"Interest in the phenomenon of happiness, and why it matters in the workplace, has never been higher. This book, by a researcher who has been one of the more prominent contributors to this area for nearly four decades, provides a comprehensive appraisal of the current state of thinking regarding the causes, and consequences, of happiness at work.” - Timothy A. Judge, University of Florida, Department of Management, USA
"Peter Warr has contributed to this area like none other. He presents a very useful and highly readable synopsis of research into emotions, satisfaction, and well-being at work. I highly recommend this book.” - Michael Frese, University of Giessen and London Business School, UK
"Peter Warr… has produced a formidable book that must be reckoned with for the next 10 to 20 years of research, theory, and practice... The book is exhaustive and comprehensive. It represents the culmination of many years of work, and surpassing it would be very difficult… For those interested in job or career satisfaction, job design, or happiness in general, this book represents the baseline for future work." – Jay C. Thomas in PsycCRITIQUES
"This is an excellent and a comprehensive book and a must read book for those in the area of Industrial/Organizationa/Occupational/Clincal Psychology, Management, and Human Resources. I would also strongly recommend this book to anyone with an interest in the area of mental health in the workplace." - Katy Kamakar in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
Top Customer Reviews
I do not particularly like his emphasis on the 'vitamin model' of the ingredients of happiness at work, but the way he uses it throughout the book in a consequent manner helps to structure the material.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
I am less then half way, but until now it is really the effort worthwhile as it gives you (when you keep struggling and working with this book)a clear concept of work and happiness combined. So please also see my rating as preliminary; I will come up with a definitive quote somewhere end of this year.
Here below you find the content of this more then 400 pages book.
Table of Contents : The Principal Concepts. Well-Being and Self-Validation. Unemployment and Retirement: Role Preference and Other Influences. The Vitamin Analogy. Constant Effects Beyond a Threshold. Control, Skill, and Goals. Variety, Clarity, and Social Contact. Combinations, Measurement, Causes, and Work Profiles. Social and Judgmental Influences. Differences Between Sets of People. Personality, Genes, and Happiness. Moderator Effects and Differential Salience. Person-Environment Fit and Work Values. Some Consequences of Happiness.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Human Resources > Human Resources Management
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Management Skills > Teams
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Occupational & Industrial Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Social & Developmental Psychology > Social
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology > Sociology of Work