on 21 February 2010
This book gives a really good introduction to WordPress and it will be useful for anyone wanting to use WordPress for blog production or as a content management system for producing a static web site. Like other books in the Dummies series, it explains topics in a way that can be read by non-techies, but there's plenty there for people coming from a dreamweaver/html/css background, especially when it delves into tweaking existing Themes, towards the end of the book.
Committed techies might also want an additional book for more detail on production of their own themes, plugins and other stuff, but this book will still be useful as an overview and quick reference.
I've used it to produce three blog sites and found it very useful.
on 21 April 2009
Although author Lisa Sabin-Wilson warned readers in advance that a certain knowledge of computers was required, I thought it still too technical. Her over enthusiasm for WordPress became tiresome quickly as did her over use of exclamation marks! I still have not found out the answer to the specific question for which I bought the book, how to replace a document within a website while leaving the link as it stands, but admittedly I am only on Chapter 8. Still on Chapter 8,that is, because it is not exactly a riviting read. I suppose making such a book riviting is asking a lot!
on 27 April 2011
I needed a basic guide for WordPress. Although I have some knowledge of HTML & CSS (not a lot!) I wasn't at all familiar with the WordPress system and terminology and some things I needed seemed to be buried away in unlikely places. This book really helped me get the system into my mind and as well as answering the questions I had it gave me a basis to go further. A good and useful book.
on 26 February 2011
Excellent condition. Explains all that I needed to know and more therefore an excellent help to my 'less than a beginner' mindset to building an online blog.
on 9 April 2011
I'm a newbie for web-design, though I did write computer programs in Fortran many years ago. I found this book very clear and helpful.
on 17 May 2011
This is an excellent resource. I have never had to deal with websites before so it us my new bible. Good seller too!!
on 22 July 2009
Although Wordpress is an intuitive application, Lisa Sabin-Wilson ensures that every type of user is catered for. If you are a novice or an expert this book will guide and enhance your knowledge. Easy to read and structured well, it can help you produce a blog in next to no time. What it can't do is turn your content into Pulitzer prize winning text, but it can make what is there be presented to its best effect.
on 21 April 2009
2nd Edition 2009 updated for version 2.7
This is the only book you will need to learn and master Wordpress. Wordpress for Dummies makes it so much easier to get started and quickly develop your site. It's great being able to follow and develop page by page and then dive into the Wordpress Codex and Forum for more detail knowing exactly what to look for. See the results at []
on 25 September 2010
Awful awful book. I bought this to help me with my blog..not unusually. As a complete beginner I thought it would literally be a how to guide. Not so...written for people who already know and understand Blog/wordpress language.
I would not recommend this. Rather go and do a workshop and get all your questions answered there.
on 18 May 2009
This book is VERY VERY out of date. You will not get the help needed and the author who runs her own 'wordpress design' business is not great when it comes to understanding a bloggers needs often siting the fact that 'nobody has complained before' s a good reason to dismiss a complaint. The book is very techie and by no means a 'dummies' guide. Maybe 4 years ago this might of helped someone with a LOT of knowledge of Wordpress but it wont help anyone with hardly any experience. Avoid buying it there are plenty more options out there.