Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 August 2007
An excellent book for students and landowners, it starts with a brief history of woodland in Britain, followed by a chapter on tree biology and sylvicultural systems which is comprehensive and written in refreshingly plain english. The native and commonly used non-native trees are then detailed followed by how to draw up a management plan, essential if you want grant aid. Then the nitty-gritty of planting, protecting, measurement and marketing.

This is a very practical book on managing woodlands as a whole, very sensitive to their wildlife and landscape value but stressing that woodlands that pay are more likely to last.
on 9 March 2010
As a landowner seriously considering woodland creation, I found this book easy to read, very informative and balanced. I'll be keeping it nearby as a useful reference to remind me about the key aspects of woodland creation and management. As with the best sources of knowledge, this book identifies the questions you need to ask yourself.
on 7 January 2006
This book is an excellent introduction to Forest Management. It starts from the beginning, with no assumption of prior knowledge.
Ideal for potential forestry students as well as those with an interest in woodland.
on 4 March 2014
Definitely one for your reference library. So good I've got two copies. Does not assume any prior knowledge. Combines theory and practice, eg first chapter on Woodlands Past Present and Future is followed by a chapter on Getting to know Trees and Woodlands. Plus there are lots of helpful lists such as different tasks for the seasonal cycle and a chapter on how to generate an income. As a new woodland owner this has been an invaluable book for me.
on 29 March 2006
I found this book to be an insightful and stimulating guide to managing woodlands. The authour's writing style holds your attention and the information supplied is highly relevant and will be of value to a wide range of readers. I would certainly recommend this book to anyone with a keen interest in purchasing or managing woodlands in the future.
on 19 April 2010
I am part way through reading the book for a second time. Having acquired a small piece of land which has recently been clear felled and replanted I needed a quick introduction to woodland and how it should be managed and I certainly got this from the book. The only thing I wanted to know that I couldn't find is how best and when to move small self seeded saplings to an alternative location. Written in a fairly easy to follow way I would recommend this book to anybody who needs an introduction to the subject.
on 15 April 2015
Fantastic book, I have learn much over my 14 years in woodland work and this book has really added to my experience and knowledge and have recommended it to my neighbouring woodland owners
on 13 June 2015
Interesting and informative. A useful and well written guide that is easily read and well set out. Not as comprehensive as I was hoping it to be but useful contact details help gain more detail and information.
on 7 July 2013
Having just acquired 3 acres of woodland I thought this would be a worthwhile buy. It is, and I've read it from start to finish and am likely to return to it many times. It's quite dry however and though you may think this down to the topic itself, I disagree. Take for example Tony York's book on pig keeping, similar "dryness" of subject but delivered with humour. I don't want to detract from the worth of the book though. It is comprehensive, organised and I'm sure accurate.
on 11 December 2013
Delivered on time and in good condition.
I needed a suitable reference book that could help improve my knowledge.
This book was easy to follow and had enough technical detail to be worthwhile