on 11 July 2017
Really enjoyed this. Relevant to all sorts of things not just coaching or basketball. Made me really think about how I coach and why I coach. Very interesting how he describes success and describes the pyramid!
on 17 May 2017
good read
on 7 December 2015
amazing book and insight
on 26 August 2013
The simplicity of John Wooden's ways and methods are inspiring. He keeps reminding us about the basics and fundamentals. Not over complicating things and focusing on what matters most.
on 15 May 2001
"If you sincerely try to do your best to make each day a masterpiece, angels can do no better."
John Wooden is one of my favourite coaches of all time, and while his claim to fame is as the most successful college basketball coach of all time, what first intrigued me about him was that he never mentioned winning to his players.
This book is the most comprehensive collection of his philosophy of coaching and life I have yet come across, and its easy to browse aphoristic style gives it permanant pride of place on my bedside table.
on 13 January 2013
Wooden presents short sharp lessons about his coaching and leading methods that made him the greatest college basketball coach in US history. Based on his Pyramid of Success Wooden shares nugget after nugget after nugget of his philosophy. Wooden presents wisdom on how to coach, lead, father and mentor people. Great book and if you are a coach or in business this is a must read book.
on 28 March 2011
His truly unrivalled results give him great credibility, underpinning the wonderful and inspiring, simple and straightforward lessons he applied and taught in sport and life. It's a guide full of great principles, given with the clarity that comes from great confidence and amazing humility. One of my heroes.
on 31 January 2014
This man knows about life. And he knows how to tell people in words about life. It's an eternal teacher and inspirational source. For every part of life, even if you're not into basketball or sports at all, it teaches you and clears your mind. Recommended.
on 9 November 2014
This a great book. One of my Favourites. Great Wisdom and Advice from a Very Successful Coach and a Great Man. I regularly look at quotes from this book and they always give me a lift and send me in a good direction. Highly recommend.
on 23 October 2001
This book has had a fundamental impact on my life - it is tougher to implement than to read. I would recommend that anybody who hears about it buys it: This is the single most important book to me and the one I would take to an island. I have given it out as a present to many people. Not only is it unique content but the style and delivery is superb and it makes for a very relaxing and entertaining read.