Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

on 1 April 2014
This book has a fascinating selection of interviews of some of the leading women in the Anglican Church.It is singularly relevant as the debate about women Bishops continues to capture media attention. It includes an interesting variety of characters and Julia Ogilvy successfully allows them to speak for themselves, charting the development of their lives and careers together with the pressures and emotions they have experienced as they have begun to play their part in what has been a man's world. There is a delightful honesty about their accounts, there is humour and above all a shining depth of spirituality. The book is a' 'must' for anyone exploring, not only the value of women's ministry in the church today, but the whole way in which people discover faith and work out a calling to serve others.
on 3 May 2014
After seeing an extract in the newspaper, I purchased a copy from Amazon. I really enjoyed reading it. I found the presentation was less biased than I expected. The twelve ladies chosen covered a wide field, showing what powerful resources are available in the Church. I must admit that some of the theology was heavy going, but that is not a subject with which I am familiar.
I have given the book to my Parish Priest, a lady who is the best minister we have had for twenty years.
on 11 April 2014
I had feared mild hysteria but instead was confronted by the life stories of fascinating women responding to a 'call' on their lives. From whatever viewpoint one might be standing, I would encourage the reading of these stories which the author has sensitively collated into an easy-to-read narrative.
on 29 April 2014
This is a rich read. It is thought- provoking, informative, engaging and enlightening. It is broader than the title suggests because the women who have been interviewed bring their life experience to the page. I have read it through and returned to dip into it again and again - each time with great pleasure. I recommend it highly. Julia Ogilvy has produced an excellent book.
on 30 March 2014
This is a book with interviews from a wide range of women in the church today. Their stories are inspiring and Julia captures the 'voice' of each one. I found the different stories inspired hope and faith in seeing more women called to serve God, in a church that is not perfect by any stretch, and Julia brings this out in the stories, yet women who have made amazing contributions. This book was written in response to the failure of the church to appoint women as Bishops one year ago, it is a challenging and encouraging response. Thankfully now in a different time, when we hope to see the first Bishop by Christmas 2014.
on 26 August 2014
This was a fascinating book; interviews with twelve women, some British, some American, who have all experienced the prejudice against women which has been a part of the Christian church since its beginning and more recently against women priests. It has been a very topical subject at this time, when finally we are to allow women bishops in the Anglican church, though this was not the case when this book was first published. The interviewees are introduced to us carefully and with sensitivity and when they speak, they describe with intelligence and feeling, the obstacles they had to overcome to be where they are in their careers. Each of their stories is told well, with humility and truth, and their faith in God is their strength and the power that has led them from the beginning.

These are all wonderful, inspirational women and I recommend you to read this if you are interested in the church today and the direction in which it is going in the future.
on 16 April 2014
Fascinating, interesting, funny, sad, frustrating, inspirational, hopeful - I have not yet finished this inspirational book interviewing prominent women in the church. A copy should be given to all the no campaigners. I am going to buy a copy to donate to my local library.
on 2 May 2014
Brilliant book, just finished reading it! I am so grateful for the pioneers who have gone before me, and the companions now on the way with me, as I find myself in my 11th year as an ordained woman. God help the 1st wave of women who join the House of Bishops.....
on 12 March 2016
Excellent book regarding the topic of Women in Ministry in a variety of places. The layout - a different women in ministry for each chapter - is very good. This holds the interest of the reader. The overall concept of the book is worthy of a book. It is a theology book without the intriciate language of theological language which is refreshing.
on 15 October 2016
A great read. Quite surprising how women have been been affected by prejudice against their ministry purely because they are women! Some very inspiring stories. My only criticism would be that no every day priest without ministry abroad and in Cathedral hierarchy were interviewed.