on 12 March 2008
Like the way this book is set out in seasons, and the extras ie breads etc. So far we have made six of the soups, and have enjoyed a them all. Looking forward to trying more.
on 3 October 2016
This is the best cook book we have ever owned and it is the most used. Anything we have made from it has always been admired and loved.The ingredients are easy to find. a great gift for those who think they can't cook and great for students. It is more than soup. Some of the recipes constitute stews and really hearty meals. They all freeze well and very easy and quick to make. I am ordering more to give to friends for Xmas as I keep getting asked for the recipes!!
on 27 April 2009
Don't bother with the stock making - (Kallo) cubes are brilliant nowadays and why waste the veg on a stock when you can make a soup with them. Brilliant ideas for soups with appetizing pictures to match. Liked it so much after I borrowed it from the library one wet day that I just had to buy it.
on 7 June 2009
Since purchasing the book I have made most of the soups in it. The recipies are easy to follow, simple to make and taste delicious !!! I'd definatey reccommend you buy it.
on 1 October 2015
Down to earth recipes, no hard-to-find or exotic ingredients - makes use of a good range of basic foodstuff. As far as I can tell, all the recipes look do-able - I cook many specific recipes on a regular basis but I'm always adding to the list by trying others - it is probably the most used cook book I have ever had. The Winter Soup recipe for instance is one of the more complicated ones - and it's as simple and straightforward as you can get. There are a lot of recipes in the book and it's divided into 4 sections, one for each season.
review image
on 21 March 2009
Perfect book if you are new to making soups. Easy to follow recipes and plenty of variety.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 February 2010
This is a lovely collection of recipes for soup and for accompaniments. After a couple of introductory chapters, the rest of the book is divided by season. The recipes range from the basics, such as carrot & coriander, asparagus, tomato soup with basil & olive pistou, vichyssoise, tuscan bean soup & roasted parsnip, to more exotic offerings (for example green Thai cauliflower soup; cannellini soup with fiery cherry tomato dressing; aubergine, almond & apricot soup). In addition to the soup recipes each chapter also contains a few recipes for accompaniments, mainly breads but also including dukkah, parsnip crisps, etc.. I am looking forward to the summer as there is a recipe for lavender focaccia which I'd like to try.

All the recipes are set out in a logical way and the ones I have tried have been successful. Preparation and cooking times seem about right to me and recipes which are suitable for freezing are clearly marked.
on 31 January 2012
My wife has numerous cook books,but the soups all seem to be a little too fancy for our taste.
having just purchased a soup maker,I thought its time to invest in a book that just covers different
soups.I read all the different reviews on the site,and this book stood out against the others.
This book meets our requirements,I don't follow the proposed ingredients exactly as there are some
vegetables we don't like,but it certainly gives a wide selection.
What I do add to the soup is a table spoon of mushroom ketchup,this really improves the taste.
on 24 February 2009
The soups in this book are generally tasty & the book is easy to use. It is helpful that it states freezer friendly or not. I also like that its chapters are in seasons which is very practicle. My only problem with it that there seems to be some quainties which are incorrect either a lot more or less than seems realistic but we just use the quantity we think will be better & the soups have all been really yummy.
on 1 February 2011
There are some interesting reciepes in this book, but the instructions are not at all clear. For example " a tablespoon of butter" is not something one meets in English books. I note the book is published by an American publisher but this is not a term I have met in American books. I am surprised that the Woman's Institute has put its name to this.