on 9 March 2017
Yet another Robin Hood story...you can never have, too much of a good tale and Steven A McKay delivers it in spades, forget merry men prancing around Sherwood forest in tights, this version is gritty, quite violent { although I personally think he held back a bit on the violence } and a he drops in a few naughty words every now and again, all in context and very mild for men of this violent nature. I love Stevens take on this old tale it is fresh and funny in places, and I have read a lot of Robin Hood tales, some familiar names and places are there as well as some brought in by the author, historical information abounds as does poetic licence , I finished this first book in next to no time and am over half way through the second 'The Wolf and the Raven', the story just gets better with clever little twists and tangles in the fortune of Robin and his band of 'wolfs Heads'. .....looks like I have to buy the whole damned set now,,,,,don't you just hate it when that happens ?
on 21 July 2017
A modern day masterpiece! I reviewed the Forest Lord series for an independent review site and quite frankly I was amazed at how good and consistent the whole series was. It blends old legends with modern twists while staying true to the core of the myths. The author has done a fantastic job with these stories and has given them some unexpected but incredible twists and I willingly admit that my review didn't do them justice! A fantastic read and highly recommended to any fan of adventure, action, historical fiction, just anyone!

Find the full review by searching Vicarage book reviews on Facebook!
on 12 May 2017
Although i am an avid reader of both historical fiction and fact, this is the first book i have read by this author and i have to say i thoroughly enjoyed it so much so that i now have the three other books in the Forest Lord series. I would urge any potential readers not to be put off by the subject matter being a story of Robin Hood, the author tells the story in his own way and really draws you in.

I have no hesitation in recommending this book to any reader :-)
on 3 May 2017
As a big fan of Robin Hood books having just read Angus Donald's book, I thought I would give Stephen's books a try. I have just finished the first one and am really impressed. The story is well written and keeps a great pace throughout. I have already bought the remaining 3 books in the set and have started on number 2 already. If you like Robin Hood, I can't recommend these enough.
on 28 June 2015
Loved this book. A totally credible version of the classic Robin Hood legend with attention to the historical background in Britain for the time period Steven Mckay has chosen to set it in. Can't wait to read the next installment.
on 2 July 2017
Another take on the Tales of Robin Hood this time with a bit more of a bite to it.Well written a real page turner with plenty of action.Can't wait to read the rest of the series.
on 13 March 2017
Couldn't put book down really enjoyed the book.
on 1 November 2013
Having recently read all the Angus Donald Outlaw Chronicles I thought I would give this one a go. I very much enjoyed it. A totally different slant than the aforementioned - a more traditional characterisation - what I especially liked was that the author has used the correct setting for Sherwood/Lionheart angle for which there is no factual evidence. I am looking forward to the next one.
on 16 June 2017
Very engaging a very good read
on 26 January 2016