- Paperback: 96 pages
- Publisher: Merlin Publishing (30 April 1998)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0863276350
- ISBN-13: 978-0863276354
- Product Dimensions: 17.1 x 11.5 x 0.6 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 452,036 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
The Wolfhound Guide to the Irish Harp (Wolfhound guides) Paperback – 30 Apr 1998
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
This work tells the story of the Irish harp, one of the oldest and distinctive national emblems. From the obscurity of the 13th century to the present day, its history is often concealed in myth. The harp device has been promoted by such figures as King Heny VIII and Eoghan Rua O Neill, until in the 20th century, it became the badge of the Irish state. The Irish harp has been the most characteristic musical instrument of Ireland from about the 11th century. There are many representations of harps in manuscripts and on stone crosses from about the 9th century, as the instrument took on the features that made it Irish. This text answers such questions as: how did the harp come to be emblem for so many things Irish?; why should it have white strings? and why did Eoghan Rua O Neill use a green field for his flag? Chapters cover the early history, the harp in Irish mythology, green versus blue, state seals, the presidential standard, a coat of arms, the naval service, the harp as state badge, the Irish overseas, and unofficial use and legal protection.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > Europe > Ireland
- Books > History > World History
- Books > Mind, Body & Spirit > Mythology > Folklore
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Instruments > Harp
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Learning to Play, Write & Record Music > Harp
- Books > Reference > Genealogy