Customer reviews

With a Little Help From my Friends
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.55

on 25 December 2012
With a Little Help from my Friends, by Michelle Daly.

Michelle first met Marie when she was a little girl aged five and over the course of forty years we are introduced to all of the ups and downs that they encounter. I feel privileged that I have been able to take a look inside of their lives and to witness all of the happy moments as well as the struggles. The book certainly touched a nerve with me and I found myself empathising with Michelle in many of her situations. The care system of the 70's and 80's that Michelle describes for children and young adults with learning disabilities was for me quite alien, as I was only born in the 70's, I cannot imagine what life must have been like then for the families involved and not to mention the children and young people. The image of young Alison who was so emaciated, being wheeled through the snow by a `nurse', while she was only wearing a summer dress will haunt me for ever. I read that passage with tears rolling down my cheeks.

What struck me most about the book though was the fact that you should never be afraid to challenge authority if what you believe is right and if you are acting upon the best needs of your child, it was very true then and is still very true and relevant today. I find myself acting as Tom's(my son)advocate and have challenged professionals regarding his care; I feel that as a mother you instinctively know what your child needs and Michelle showed this so honestly and passionately in her book. I was also extremely touched by the relationship between Marie and Michelle and the very strong bond between me, while reading many of the passages I did so with a huge lump in my throat.

This book I feel is for anyone, if you are a mother, grandmother, carer, non-carer, single, male female, I really don't think that it matters, it is a true story of one woman's remarkable life and I fail to see how anybody would not be touched deeply by her story.
on 18 February 2013
If you have a battle on your hands you need Michelle Daly in your corner !! I remember the story from years ago.. how Michelle made history by becoming the youngest single person to become a legal guardian of a handicapped child.. The system as it was then was utterly unbelievable.. children in so called care left alone for hours on end.. not dressed properly or fed properly for that matter.. Michelle took them all on.. hospitals, nuns, nurses and administative staff. How she kept going I will never know.. Brillaint book... Im so glad I read it .
on 13 March 2013
I can't remember how many times I cried during the read, but I was well into double figures! Michelle is clearly different to most people in that she can't seem to help putting other people first, particularly those that can't protect their own interests. Her compassion puts most of us to shame. Her grace has clearly been bestowed upon her by a benevolent God.

Michelle Daly, I take my hat off to you.
on 2 November 2012
This is an amazing story of love, life, courage and conviction. A must read for every warrior parent out there, and anyone who works with and for people who have a learning disability. Should be on every RNLDS reading list!
on 13 December 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It opens your eyes to the systems which were in place and the fostering process which is still far from perfect. I think Michelle is a very brave, loving mother and she deserves a medal. Well done Michelle I hope you and your family will be happy for a very long time.
on 12 December 2012
A no holds barred story of a young woman's determination to look after a child with ¨disabilities¨and her constant fight with bureaucracy. Told in a down to earth, matter of fact manner, sometimes heart breaking but with snippets of real humour, a mixture which I'm sure only Michelle could achieve. Good luck to you both.

Sheila DiPiazza
Birmingham UK
on 5 February 2013
A courageous and moving account of love and determination. Michelle Daly tells the gripping story of her fight to enable a young girl with disabilities to live beyond the walls of the institution. Rich and honest description brings this story to life as we read of the personal and working life of Michelle as she struggles with bureaucracy but also we enjoy the highlights and joys of her journey.

A great read !
on 13 November 2013
Michelle is truly an exceptional human being! From the moment I started to read this book I was mesmerized by the dedication and true grit determination. This gutsy Mum fought prejudice and an archaic institutionalized attitude to caring for children and adults with learning difficulties and complex needs. If you are a parent whether your child has difficulties or not this is a MUST read. This book will put your emotions through their paces but at the end it will provoke thought, touch and inspire you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 February 2013
With a Little Help From my Friends is a thought provoking and heart warming tale of a young woman's love for a severely disabled child and the battles she fights in an effort to provide a better life for her. Michelle's strength of character shines throughout this wonderful story of love and determination and it inspires you to stand up, be counted and to fight for what is right.
on 7 August 2013
I downloaded this to read on my kindle and from start to finish it took me about 5 hours to get through with a break in the middle for food. The most inspirational book i have read ever, to say i could not put it down is an understatement. I thought it was so good im ordering copies to send as birthday presents.