on 21 October 2016
Too much reminiscing instead of making it a good story. So much glossing over points that should develop the story.
It's like having an iPhone S model and told to be excited as they are bringing out a new iPhone C model. Much of a muchness but when you really look into it it's just dumbed down and not as good.
I've been reading the Shannara books since I was an apprentice back in the 80's. I used to think they were great. Sometimes repetitive, but this time there was nothing new and I felt like the writing was aimed at a young kid. 😒
Maybe I am partly jaded from seeing how crappily done the TV series was, but I do feel let down by this trilogy.
on 14 August 2013
I have read every one of the Shannara books and loved them all. I was therefore understandably thrilled when the third book of the latest trilogy was released - downloading the lot to read in one sitting. Sadly the book let itself down.

The ending was poor, with far too many loose ends and convenient fixes. The beginning was also poor and far too drawn out, with a focus on word count, rather than quality. The middle was better written, but sadly only to the point of mediocre.

The biggest let down though was the complete absence of plot - new plot, anyway. It seemed more like a mail-merge of the previous books than anything vaguely original. I have read the other books. If I want to read them again, then I can. I do not need to read what seems like a schoolchild's attempt to combine them into a new trilogy.

on 4 June 2014
I have been reading Terry Brooks novels for many years, have read them all up to this point, and will continue to do so.

I think some of the criticisms evident in other reviews are probably accurate to a degree, but overall I still get enough enjoyment from reading his books to continue to purchase them.

This story concludes the Dark Legacy Trilogy and was a good ending to the book, I do hope however that we see in future books some return to this time to pursue what happens to the people who were returned to the forbidding.

I felt rather sorry for the Ulk Bog who did all she could to help and still got carted back to that rather unpleasant place, if that happened to me I would be very annoyed.
on 27 July 2015
This is the first series by Terry Brooks that I've ever read and will certainly not be my last. There were so many things that I loved about this trilogy that I don't even know where to begin.

The story was engaging and enthralling. There wasn't a single moment in this trilogy where I felt the urge to skip past a boring bit or consider taking a break from the book. I just couldn't put it down.

The characters were the highlight of the series, though. They were memorable, likeable and relatable. I found myself genuinely caring about what happened to them. I was very pleasantly surprised when I began reading and found out that the main character was a woman that could defend herself. Used to fantasy books that revolve around men that save the damsels in distress, this made a very nice change. Aphenglow is a strong, talented woman who's brave, proficient in magic and cares deeply about those close to her, while still being a realistic, relatable and three dimensional character.

Another reason that I was so impressed with this book is that it made me cry like a baby. Any author that can make me cry as much as J K Rowling did in The Deathly Hallows must be doing something right. The Dark Legacy of Shannara is an emotional journey, and it's a journey that I look forward to taking again and again as I read Terry Brooks' other series.
on 25 July 2013
For any Brooks fan the plot and general flow of the book will be very familiar. The story line is similar to the Elf Stones of Shannara trilogy. Having read every thing that Brooks has written, this book along with the first two in this trilogy, has a sense of da ja vu about it.

I don't care. I loved it. I could not put it down. Brooks brings the characters to life and makes you care about them. The way any good author can. I had tears in my eyes at one point. This is one of the best Shannara books since the Sword of Shannara published in 1977.

If you have never read any Terry Brooks books then read this trilogy it does not matter that you have not read the earlier stuff. A lot of the Shannara books were written out of sequence anyway. This is as good a place to start as any.

If you are a Terry Brooks fan then I don't need to tell you to buy it as you already have.
on 9 May 2016
Where is the map at the start of this book? I can't believe that it hasn't been included, as it is useful to keep up with the story. It means that I have to carry a separate paper map with my kindle if I want to read this story when I'm on the move. Complaint over.
Another good story from a stalwart writer. I heard some reviews say that this story was slow. I haven't found this to be the case.
on 9 November 2013
I came to read my first Terry Brooks book, when a friend at work loaned me Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold. For my then young daughter. My daughter did not bother to read it, so I did. I was hooked I have read every book he has written and am always impatiently waiting for the next volume to appear. Following on from the Shannara books, Terry writes in sets of three, each book as compelling as the one before and always leaving you eager to read next.
on 10 April 2014
I read this book as part of The Dark Legacy of Shannara series and I absolutely loved it. The book is packed with adventures and it will definitely hold your attention until the very end. For those readers who are new to Terry Brooks should make sure they at least read the first two books of the series, or go to Terry Brooks website to check on the reading order list that is shown there. Overall, it's a great book, which will transfer you from the boring surroundings of your room to the magical world of Shannara!
on 22 April 2014
A great lead into the story; just as we’ve come to expect from Terry Brooks. Interesting characters combined with a good story, old history revisited, familiar places and new. Re-entering the Shannara world is like putting on a comfortable sweater and sitting in front of a log fire with a good drink to hand! If that’s what you’ve come to expect, you won’t be disappointed. If you’re new to Shannara novels you’ll enjoy it, but I’d suggest starting with the original ‘Sword of Shannara’ and working your way up!

I enjoy the way Terry composes his novels; and this has been no exception. If you read this, like me it leaves you wanting to get on with the next instalment…

One point (Mr Brooks); it would’ve been good to read the previous trilogy first (High Druid of Shannara); but I couldn’t!!! It’s not available on Kindle, so I had to read the next one instead (what else could I do at 11:00pm?!)
on 11 August 2013
I am or perhaps was a big fan of Mr. Brooks work. This book is a huge disappointment. Four fifths of this book is just a rehash of all the other Shannara books mister Brooks has penned. Weary descriptive text followed by the love pangs of its young hero. I felt like giving him a hard slap and stop being such a dreary little sot. I wish that Brooks would stop trying to write battle scenes, a skill which he just dose not have. Sloppily written and showing no respect for his readers who buy his books by the barrow load. Start borrowing them from your local library but please do not encourage him by paying your hard earned money by buying his books.