Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 23 October 2012
The Dark Witch has been defeated and Senna is engaged to the man she loves, everything should be perfect, but it is not. Haven is not the paradise she thought it would be, Tarten is still suffering from the witches curse and there is a new threat that could destroy everything Senna holds dear.

Witch Born is a brilliant sequel which has lots of twists and turns and is much more unpredictable than Witch Song. Also this book is more action-packed and involves additional characters than the first book.

Senna has really grown up since the Witch Song but she is still finding out who she wants to be in life, which causes tension between her and those who care about her. I really like Joshen in this book as he is everything a love interest in a light YA fantasy and while they may be away from each other more in this book you can still tell they love each other very much.

I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait to see what else Amber Argyle is going to write. I would recommend this series to people who like Shannon Hale and Gail Carson Levine.
on 7 March 2014
after reading the first book l thought there could be no improvement possible...this second one is a seamless extension of brilliance. I'm on to the next one straight away, and have already got the one after that. highly recommend.
on 15 January 2014
I often find sequels a little disappointing, but not this time. Witch Born takes all that was great about Witch Song, the first in the series, and amplifies it. The characterisation is even stronger and the crafting of the plot has great subtlety, the twists and turns being faithful to the overall story and adding to the enjoyment of the book.

Senna has been through so much, surely now the enemy of the witches is defeated she may enjoy some peace? No, Senna must now face the reality of where the real source of Haven's problems lie. This is a devastating realisation that unfolds through the course of the book and brings Senna to the brink of impossible decisions, can she make them? The realisation that each decision we make has implications, for both good and ill, resonates throughout this book and gives it the moral and intellectual depth that lifts the book from being a great read to a stunning novel.
on 18 February 2014
I loved the concept, identified with our heroine, and thought she was well thought out and portrayed. I hate typing on a tablet, but doing my best.

Whilst there were some grammatical and spelling errors which should have been caught by proofers, I would say it did not detract too much from the flow of the story, which was good. Should the author require the services of an old proofer, ever, please do not hesitate to contact me.

I would recommend this as a good read to any fantasy lover.
on 11 March 2014
*I received a free copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*

The Witches of Haven have a crisis. Strangers are invading the island to kidnap Senna, there is a traitor amongst them and their enemies are gathering. Senna wants to remove the curse which is crippling Tarten which brings her into dispute with the Heads, who know her destiny and refuse to give her the information she needs.

We rejoin the story with the witches all safely on Haven, planning their next move. Senna is beginning her training which she is finding tough, especially with a forced separation from Joshen. Balancing her love for him with her duty is proving to be tougher than she expected. Her disputes with the Heads include their decision to keep the curse, keep her away from Joshen, keeping her in the dark about her future and not keeping her safe from the traitor and those trying to kidnap her. Senna feels isolated and alone, and is considering going against the Heads to do what she feels is right, knowing that this might cause them to disown her.

Our favourite characters from book one are all there again as well as a few new and interesting additions. The same amount of action and adventure is there though Senna's growing powers add more to the plot. There is still plenty to enjoy in this emerging series. In this book, a bit of the witch history was brought into the book, mixing nicely with the present day paranormal story of Senna. It was nice that the information is given to the reader gradually instead of in one big info dump which is a plot device that I find frustrating. So well done to the author for avoiding that temptation. I would have liked more Pogg though as I love that guy.

I did feel it was obvious who the traitor on the island was and who the traitors allies were. It didn't spoil the story though. Joshen's stupidity and refusal to do what Senna asked of him(please stay away from my witchy enemy Joshen!) did get on my nerves a bit in this book but it was just a minor niggle. I would not have been so quick to forgive the betrayals like Senna did but hey, I'm just that unforgiving kind of person!

The big niggle for me though is that the second half of the book felt a bit rushed. From Caldash to the witch war, it seemed that the author just wanted to get the book finished quickly and move on to something else. I wanted to see more of the actual war which was over way too quick. The aftermath of the war was not dealt with in a satisfying way for me either. We jump from the war to the resolution of Senna and Joshen's story, leaving out what I really wanted to see. I wanted to see the merging of the two witch clans! WE spent so long waiting for the war and what was going to happen that it was a dissappointment to have it over so quickly. I figure that maybe that is being saved for the next book so we'll wait and see what happens there.

Niggles aside I did still enjoy the book and will look at what is coming next.

I rate this book 3 out of 5 on my star rating which is different to this site.

1-didn't like
2-ok
3-like
4-really liked
5-loved
on 8 September 2014
The witch Haven turns out not quite to be the sanctuary that Brusenna had hoped for and she find herself dealing with corrupt power hungry witches. A great tale of discovering a dark past and hidden truths.
on 15 September 2015
Amber Argyle has, without a doubt, become a firm favourite of mine. Her writing is amazing and her attention to detail is phenomenal. She has never failed to grab me right from the start and take me on a magical, often times tragical, journey. Every one of her books has been action packed and intense. They have caused me to cry, to gasp, to shout out and to have a book hangover! This one is no different.

May contain spoilers for book 1!!

Brusenna is once again in a fight for her life. She thought that after defeating the dark witch, her life would be easier now, but she is wrong. She has to defeat a much more dangerous foe and try to save her fellow witches. All the while trying to have a life with Joshen. Can she do it, or will her story end tragically?

I fell in love with Senna and Joshen after book one, and this one just cements it. Senna is such a worthy heroine. She knows her own mind and even when she is told not to do something, if it's the right thing to do, she will do it no matter the consequences. She is strong willed, kind, capable and loyal. She has been through so much, and even more during this one, yet she stays true to herself.

Joshen is such a dolt!! How could he be so stupid and not trust Senna after everything!!!! (You will have to read it to see what I'm talking about) My heart was in my mouth wondering if they would make up or not! I love these 2 and they are perfect for each other so I'm glad it was all sorted.

The plot is once again extremely fast paced. I loved that we get to see the dark witch again and what Senna does for her just goes to show her character. There are secrets revealed, lives lost, friendship destroyed, and even worse, a deception that is hard to take. Basically we have a book filled with everything a great book should have.

Everything about this book, and indeed the series, can be summed up in one word.... amazing! It's a book that once you start, be prepared to be up all night because you won't put it down. The world Amber created is magical and one I know I will revisit again and again. Highly recommend her work and I can not wait to read more from her.

Melissa Reizian Frank has such a great voice for this series. It feels like she is the perfect Senna and really gets the story. Her tones inflections are perfect and she brings this story alive.
on 31 March 2014
Loved this book though I thought it started a little slower than witch song (the first in the series) although every thing was relevant come the end of the book. So far this series been brilliant and refreshingly different to read comes recommended to all.
on 22 February 2014
This is the first time I have read this author, I thought the book was really good, so good as soon as I had finished it I ordered the next one. I will read more from this author.
on 29 March 2014
These had me gripped to know what was to come. Couldn't put them down. Enjoyed every word.sad there isn't another to follow so I could immerse myself in the story.