TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 May 2013
I really enjoyed this book, which would make perfect sun lounger reading. It tells the story of Alice, who is a very normal, ordinary woman. She is shy, kind, caring and unassuming but compared with her sister Stella, who is beautiful, flighty, flirty, selfish, egotistic, shallow, manipulative and totally self absorbed, she always seems to fade into the background.

The story starts when they go on holiday together to the sun kissed Greek island of Kethos and Alice meets gorgeous Greek gardener Milo. Without giving anything of the story away, it is safe to say it is a bit of a cautionary tale, the moral being "be careful what you wish for, because it might just come true".

It is a nice, fun, read which is entertaining with a twist that makes it just that little bit different. It flows at a nice pace and never seems rushed, with an ending that is satisfying.

I did, however, have a couple of niggles. The character of Stella is just a bit too one dimensional, almost like a cartoon character. Whilst she is fun to read about, she doesn't have any saving graces at all, she is just self, self, self. It would have been nice to scrape beneath that expensively made up surface at some point, and find a genuine person, but it didn't happen.

There are also one or two annoying little timeline inconsistencies, but not enough to spoil what is, in effect, a darn good read.
0Comment| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 July 2017
Nice easy read although I wish the entire book would have been set in Greece and I felt that certain characters should of gotten their comeuppance in the end
on 19 July 2017
You can read this at home or on holiday as it is a delightful book that makes you feel you are there with them and the main characters are so likeable as you can relate to them.
on 28 December 2017
Good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 March 2017
The story simply wasn't credible, too superstitious and unrealistic.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone
Very disappointing and too predictable
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I've been a huge fan of Victoria Connelly and her novels for some time now, so I was really looking forward to Wish You Were Here!

The cover in particular is stunning, and as soon as I saw it I immediately started longing for a holiday somewhere in the sun, with a beautiful view of the sea in front of me. As the cover had put me in a holiday mood, I was keen to get started!

When Alice Archer is given the opportunity to go on holiday to the Greek island of Kethos, she decides that a week in the sunshine is definitely what she needs! The only downside is that she will have to put up with her sister Stella's attitude and tantrums, but it is worth it to go on a lovely holiday with crystal-clear sea and blue skies. On holiday, Alice meets Milo, a very handsome gardener, and something inside her awakens, for the first time Alice feels beautiful, confident and happy in herself. But is it just holiday feelings or perhaps something more?

I really loved Wish You Were Here! I had a feeling I would like it because I've always enjoyed Victoria's other novels, but I was really swept up in this story and I genuinely think it might be my favourite of hers so far!

The setting of Kethos was delightful! Everything was described so beautifully that I was caught up in the words and completely lost myself in the story, dreaming of being on this truly stunning island. Victoria has a real talent with settings, and she brought the island of Kethos to life for me. I could picture every scene clearly in my mind, I could almost feel myself walking along the streets, looking at the views and hearing the sounds around me. After finishing this wonderful book I really want to fly away for a holiday!

Alice and Milo were fantastic characters. I warmed to Alice straight away, she is so easy to like and as a reader I genuinely wanted everything to go right for her, so I was really rooting for her throughout the book. I think there will be more than a few readers out there who will fall in love with the gorgeous Milo! I particularly enjoyed Milo's parts in the story, and I enjoyed learning more of his background story, reading about what makes him him and his interests in life.

I don't want to spoil anything but Wish You Were Here is such a fun read! This book cheered me up and had me smiling, and I was so pleased to have read it. Wish You Were Here is the PERFECT summer read, so take it on holiday, to the beach, read it in the garden, and just relax with this fantastic novel. I would thoroughly recommend this.
on 6 January 2016
Lovely
on 21 May 2013
The perfect holiday, a wonderful romance with a little magic thrown in.

Wish You Were Here is what I would call a real romance, where the connection between two people is about love rather than lust, however strong their attraction. There is plenty of humour but for the most part the characters have a realistic feeling to them, (I'm not sure I believe that anyone as perfect as Milo exists, but I'd like to.) Either way this book will leave you smiling.

Victoria Connelly has a lovely style that is easy to read and hard to put down and her latest novel definitely does not disappoint.
on 19 May 2013
such a brilliant book, Victoria has done it again. so unputdownable!!!

its a story of 2 sisters who go on holiday to Greece , and what happens to their characters.

the book is so well described you really feel like you are there with them!

I really highly recommend this book
on 15 June 2013
This book has one of the most gorgeous and summery covers I have ever seen! It is just as beautiful in real life as it is on the computer screen, and it makes me want to be on a sunny balcony looking over an ocean just as blue as the one on here! The story is set on the Greek island of Kethos. Now, I've never been to Greece myself before but this book has certainly persuaded me that it might be a lovely place to go, it sounds very idyllic, and I'm just like Alice, in that I love to go exploring and soak up the culture, rather than just sit on the beach and get burnt! Connelly does write the island so vividly, you can picture everything in your mind as Alice is walking around and seeing the sights, especially the beautiful gardens at the Villa Argenti, they just sound stunning!

I really liked Alice, she was a great character, and as things got rather strange for her after talking to the Aphrodite statue, you can't help but like her even more for it, especially when things get a bit out of control! Now, I'll quickly mention that there's a bit of a magical element to this book and you have to kind of suspend your sensibilities for a minute when you're reading. Normally, that isn't my kind of thing but I really enjoyed it in this book and had no problem just taking it at face value and letting the story go on. Anyway, Alice is a bit cynical too and I think that helped for me. I also found her relationship with her father very touching to read, and this was one of my favourite parts of the story.

However, I have to confess I'm really not so keen on Alice's awful sister Stella. Normally in a book with a bad character, there is usually something a little bit redeeming about them somewhere along the line, but there really wasn't for Stella, and she was just so dislikeable. She was selfish, mean and just not a nice person in any way so while she made Alice look like an even better person, it's a shame there wasn't just one nice thing about her at all. Now to Milo. Well, he was a perfect leading man, handsome, hard-working, family oriented and just completely loveable - you can see why Alice was rather taken by him, and I enjoyed reading all about his gardening and how passionate he is about his family. I really enjoyed his parts of the story, even when Alice was not around, and he was certainly a favourite character of mine in the book.

I really enjoyed this book, and although I had a pretty good feeling how it was all going to end for these characters, I didn't mind when the ending came and it was what I had predicted it was going to be because the story it took to get there was so enjoyable to read. I find Connelly's writing really easy to read, and dip in and out of, and I think the fact I read this book in just one Saturday when Harry was away says a lot, I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It's got a beautiful setting that Connelly brings to life on the page, and I enjoyed that while the main story of course followed Alice and her escapades, every now and then there was a chapter dedicated to Milo and his life, which were really enjoyable to read for me. Connelly will certainly make you crave sunshine and a lovely holiday after reading this book, and I'm sure you'll wish you were there with Alice and Milo! A great book that I will definitely recommend for your summer reading pile.