on 10 July 2010
Having just purchased a Nex 5 I wondered if this would work for my new camera as it isn't in the listed models.

Jolly pleased to report that it does the job. You do have to be fairly near (<3m) the camera, but in most instances this isn't a problem for me. I'm not sure if that is the remote or the Nex, as I haven't compared it to the Sony one. It is an utter bargain compared to what Sony are charging for their one, so I'm a happy bunny.

Note if you have an Nex 3 that this won't work - as the Nex 3 doesn't have remote capability (Sony kept this very quiet, but it's true.)
on 24 January 2014
The SLT-A58 does not support the use of a wireless remote control so not sure why the seller sells it a comparable ??? . Unfortunately I only found this out after receiving the cheap and nasty remote. Another selling wasting our time and money , be aware it costs more to ship back than you paid, so you end up just throwing it.
on 25 March 2010
I was a bit dubious about this before I got it, the Sony part is very expensive compared to this one, I set the camera to "Remote commander" and it worked great, I am really pleased with it, the furthest I have been from the camera is about 3 meters and it worked perfectly.
on 9 March 2010
I brought a different remote before that said it would work with the @3xx but wouldnt work with my @330 DOH!!!!! No such problems with this one! great price and works first time! Only one gripe, you have to be to the right side of the camera if you have a big lens on, but thats down to the nature of Infra Red not the quality of the product
on 10 February 2013
This product arrived without an instructions but having had a remote which I used with my Canon Camera I thought I would give it a go anyway. I took out the slip of plastic to engage the battery and changed the Drive Mode on my Sony Nex 7 to Remote Cdr. I put the camera on a tripod and sat in front to test it out. Firstly sometimes the switch failed it make contact with the camera and nothing happened but more importantly it didn't activate the autofocus mechanism in the camera and took out of focus photos. I then replaced my face with a broom head, focussed manually and took the photo. I don't want to use it for macro type photography but for spontaneous group portraits so it no use for me. I tried to get it to work in 'intelligent auto' Manual and Programme Auto modes. I might be doing something wrong but the absence of an instruction book (or instructions on the manufacturer's website or a U Tube tutorial) makes me conclude this is not the remote for me. My final frustration was that I couldn't get the battery shelf out of the remote to see if this was the problem and I have damaged the plastic casing attempting to do this so I feel I can't return it to the seller. I won't buy cheap and cheerful again - in the end this has been a complete waste of time and money. Another point about the product that I have noticed is that recently more people have given it a low star rating - have they slightly changed the specifications I wonder.
on 18 March 2010
The product originally sold here, with buttons for a set of popular cameras, didn't work with my Alpha 230 - the IR output was there, but the camera wasn't recognising it. I asked for it to be replaced by the Sony Alpha-specific item here, and it worked perfectly.

OK, it won't do the slideshow control nonsense that the thirty-odd quid Sony unit does, but who cares?

Bargain.
on 28 February 2010
I bought this for my Sony Alpha 330 DSLR. It is amazing value for money and works very well with the camera. It arrived promptly, well packaged.
on 13 April 2010
Quick delivery after good comms with this company. Just put my a230 on the tripod and tried a few shots. Works perfectly.
on 30 May 2014
This was advertised with the sony alpha logo on it and I was buying an alpha camera so decided on this item. When it arrived, in reasonable time, it did not have the logo as advertised and I was very disappointed.
I contacted the seller company asking for an explanation as to why this was, I was asked to send a picture of it, must be to prove I wasn’t fibbing!, I did this only to get another reply asking if it worked!!! They never acknowledged the picture being sent and resorted to answering my questions with questions!
Extremely poor customer experience and I would steer well clear if I was you.
In the end up the item did NOT work and I just binned it and got a proper one from another site.
Received this through the post and was very dissapointed. I'm not sure if it was so cheap because this was a job lot of dodgy handsets but when I received mine the first thing I noticed is it didn't work. I checked the battery (CR2025) and it was badly marked and looked like it had been well used already. I got a new battery and put that in but it still didn't work. I noticed it seemed to wobble around in the holder. Then I squeezed the control and found it started to work with my NEX-5. However in order to ensure it continued working I had to put a bit of cardboard into the holder on top of the battery. It fixed the problem but it's a shoddy handset. I have to say I am deeply suspicious of this as Sony wouldn't let anything so tacky leave their factory and their QA process is normally great. The whole thing makes me think this is a copy or it's second hand. Either way for a couple of quid I'll make do but I'm not impressed and would advise anyone considering buying this handset to maybe look elsewhere or go to a shop to make sure you get a genuine and working part.