on 7 January 2011
Although this is classed as a toy, it isn't. This is an extremely useful tabletop easel which I guess will appeal to everyone who likes to paint or draw but doesn't want the hassle of a full size easel. It has a very good build quality, being quite heavy with nice dovetail joints on the edges, brass catches and a leather handle. When it arrived it gave off a nice polished wood smell too. The sides of the box are made from solid wood which is 11mm thick, so I although we've not destruction tested it, I think it will last a long time. Storage capacity is good with two long compartments inside for brushes, and three smaller central sections for paints etc. Paper is held in place by a screw-on ledge at the bottom and an adjustable wooden bar at the top. This sits inside the box when not in use so keeps it safe. Order and delivery time were excellent too. Overall a very impressive piece of kit. Highly recommended.
0Comment| 109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 January 2013
It's a nice box and works well as a present for an artist. However, there is a design fault.

The wing nuts that secure the wooden easel bracket to the box lid can hit the internal divider when you close the lid. That prevents the box from closing. When my wife closed the box for the first time it happened and, unfortunately, caused the lid panel to break away from the frame. I found myself gluing it back together on boxing day!

The wing nuts must be left in the vertical position to stop this from happening, but there is nothing to tell you that. It is an inconvenience and there is great potential for the same problem to recure. I'll have to keep my glue handy.
on 12 September 2010
This easel is exact as the picture shows , it is great for using indoors and out. I already have one and am so impressed by it that I purchased this one for my husbands Birthday, before he'd borrow mine! I have put large pictures on to board and canvasses A1 size and it worked great what I love about it is you can store a selection of materials, e.g paints , pens ,pencils,brushes, pastels etc. inside and pads and I have it already so I can take of any time , pop it in car . I would recommend this as it is great vaue for money if you want a portable easel or sit at the table.
I bought this for my partner's ten year old daughter who is a budding young artist.

I most definitely would not class this as a toy. It is a quality piece of workmanship.

The box/easel is made from elm and the build quality is spot on. Dovetail joints (remember trying to fashion them at school?), brass hinges and locking clasps all brought together with a sturdy leather handle. Very nice indeed. Rubber feet are attached to the bottom ensuring it doesn't slide around on your desktop/work surface.

The easel has a lip (that your drawring medium be it paper or canvas rests upon) that needs to be attached via two wingnuts which is easy peasy! Opening the box up the drawring/painting area can be set at any angle the artist needs. Inside you find the storage area (see pic upload) is compartmentalised (is that a word?) and can be reconfigured to suit your needs by moving the slotted in wooden walls. There's room for watercolour brushes, pastels, paints, pencils etc. Quite a generous amount of storage with a protective padded base in the bottom.

Also hidden down the inside of the lid is an extendable backrest to accommodate a small to large framed canvas.

Very happy with this quality product.
review image
on 9 September 2011
Great, great, great!

+ Excellent quality wood
+ Good size, it isn't too big but you can still place a large canvas on it
+ Is also a box at the same time, it has compartments so you can store your equipment in it
+ On time delivery, packaging perfect.

- No disadvantages!
on 24 March 2011
I am not sure why this item is in Toys, its not a toy, it is an excellent table top easel, which I have purchased to take along to my learn to draw class!! It is of excellent quality, well put together and has loads of storage space for pens pencils etc. Extremely easy to put together, its just a case of putting in a couple of screws to add on the shelf which holds your paper, could not be simpler, it does have inside a leaflet which shows you anyway, with suggestions also to put a little linseed oil on the wood. I am so pleased with it, it looks and feels very sturdy. The packaging was extremely impressive, outer cardboard and original makers box, oh! and amazing price, I could not get the same product in the high street at that price.
on 3 December 2010
Helps keep everything together in an attractive well made box and converts into a useful table top easel. Bought as a present for a grandaughter (a triplet) where the ability to protect and safeguard personal possessions is important. The Winsor & Newton Medway Box table easel delivers well against this need and enables the young artist freedom to work wherever the inspiration bubbles up.
on 27 December 2011
Could not give any category stars in this review as was asked to comment against a 'toy' - which it clearly is not. However, I would give it 4 stars overall. This was a Christmas gift for my husband and he was very pleased with it and has found it very useful for all his painting materials having just taken up painting again after many years. Might need something bigger if his collection of matterials grows too much but at the moment it is fine for a moderate selection of paints, brushes, small pallets etc. The fact that it has adjustable compartments was particulary useful. Just remember that if you want to do landscape paintings on paper only, you will need an additional piece of wood to support your paper, but there is ample space to accommodate this. Good value for money and well made.
on 28 February 2011
I do pencil sketching, and I wanted an easel I can take on holiday and set up on a little table. This, then, was the perfect product for me. The box under the easel stores all my pencils, sketch pads, erasers etc, and has a handy carrying handle. The angle of the easel is easily adjustable to suit your drawing style.

Overall, a good value-for-money easel.
on 14 October 2015
I'll admit that after reading some of the negative reviews that I was a little hesitant to purchase this easel but I did and I'm glad of it. Some people complained that the extendable wooden rod is back to front so is 'useless' but after seeing the product it became immediately obvious to me that it is completely removable. You just loosen the gold screw, pull the rod out, turn it around and fix into place with the gold screw. Simple. It's stored back to front purely for storage reasons.
And to address another of some people's complaints about the butterfly screws which you tighten to keep the easel upright. Yes, it is kind of awkward but if you're able to tighten things properly then this shouldn't be an issue. I personally have no need for the extendable wooden rod so I use this as extra rear support just in case the butterfly screws should come loose but I have has zero issues.
There is an adjustable storage compartment inside comprising of 4 planks of wood. Nothing is screwed in so you can just move/remove as necessary.
As for the main craftmanship itself, it is very well made, sturdy and beautifully finished. It is ideal for my needs as I can sit on my sofa and have the easel on my lap which is essential for me as I have a bad back so sitting at a table is out of the question. And the price is exceptional too. The easel is 10.6 inches wide by 15 inches high but with the extendable wooden rod it will hold upto 24.5 inches high, not the 245 inches as it says in the listing.