Winning Ugly
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 June 2011
I read Tim Gallwey's "Inner Game of Tennis" several years ago, and had focussed on the right brain aspects of tennis. Enjoying my tennis, but not winning much.

This book provides a really good balance. Perhaps winning doesn't really matter to you either, and you play just for fun. If so, Brad asks "Why do you keep the score then?"

One of his key points is that you need to hate making unforced errors. But the reason I make unforced errors is that I don't practise/play enough, and don't want to lob the ball over the net all the time.

All in all, a very enjoyable read. But I still prefer Gallwey!
on 27 December 2010
It is just a very practical book with real tips that you can use.
It took me a long time to decide to buy it because of the title which put me off, but the title is not about winning ugly, it is about putting all the chances on your side to win.
My favourite tip: chosing to receive on the first game in most cases against standard players. Works all the time for me since my serve takes 1 set to really warm up but not my return, meaning, I win most of my first game when I use to lose them most of the time.
It is a fun book too especially if you read the biography of J. McEnroe after and cross reference the events...
on 1 February 2018
The ultimate book for the tennis pro or those who just love to compete. Remember Winning isn't everything...it's the only thing!!!!
on 19 October 2014
I enjoyed reading this book, which provides plenty of food for though for struggling tennis players like me on how to take every advantage; basically to make up for my lack of skill.

It also introduced me to the wonders of Flexall 454 muscle coolant gel, for which I will be eternally grateful.
on 27 December 2010
Very good book. Wish I had this book when I was playing as a junior. If you are playing in the "fog" of just learning your shots, but not winning as much as you think you should be....then read this. We all talk about concentration but how do you focus...this book tells you; it gives you a game plan; it makes you think like a tennis player

Aimed at the recreational player...if you only own 1 tennis book this is it
on 22 March 2014
Boris Becker, Andre Agassi, Jimmy Connors... The players you know (or thought you knew) are used as examples by Brad Gilbert, to illustrate how a cunning tennis player can beat a tennis-wise superior opponent. Very entertaining, easy read in a chatty style. Some nice pieces of advice are also found every here and there. These gems still feel up-to-date even if the book was originally written decades ago. Andy Murray sort of links it to today and to the pretty different tennis which is played on the same courts Brad Gilbert used to fight his matches on.
on 18 June 2014
Was pretty disappointed with book, he is obviously alot better in person. Anyone who played at a decent level in sport that was looking for some genuine insight in my opinion would be disappointed. Maybe its not meant to be a sports psychology book, so my fault for putting it in to this class in that case. For me the target audience is for beginner tennis players, again perhaps that was his intention which in that case, my bad again.

As i said im sure he is great in real life but the book didn't reach my expectations. Again just my opinion.
on 18 June 2011
Great book, enjoyable reading, nearly finished it in one sitting!
I've played for most of my life and this book has helped my game. I can win matches that perhaps I shouldn't using the advice Brad gives.
It gives you an edge, that extra bit of confidence that you need sometimes.
Highly recommended!
on 25 December 2013
After reading this book you will gain some great tips on how to use your strength against your opponent's weaknesses.
Most of recreational players have no game plan at all. This book will help you develop one and benefit from it.
I've already tried some tips in my tennis club and it really worked!
on 24 March 2017
Really enjoyed reading this book. Has lots in it to give an average player like myself an edge over your opponent. Highly recommend. Wish I had come across this book a lot earlier.