on 24 July 2010
I liked this book but was expecting more considering the previous rave reviews.
The book is divided into 3 sections-
1) SELF- this was the only section I really enjoyed. It is about the psychology of being overweight. It is probably the most useful thing I have read as regards motivation to ultimately get healthy. It certainly would apply to everyone who is looking to either lose weight or just get fit and has good advice for everyday life.
2) SCIENCE- also good advice regards food/diet but the guidelines are not specific. To follow the guidelines for your body type would mean a lot of daily research to get your calorie intake correct. There are very few recipes included.
3) SWEAT- good general advice at the start but personally I dont go to the gym so a lot of the exercises are not suitable as they require gym equipment. Following a book of exercises has never worked for me so I use Jillian's DVDs instead which are fab.

I would recommened this purely for the SELF section as it's very motivational.
on 16 January 2013
I admire Jillian since her performance in 'The Biggest Looser' series. I bought few of her DVDs and was deciding on a book to keep me motivated and inspired. I got attracted by the price - £3,5 is a bargain for any book of hers, so I thought.
'Winning by losing' arrived today, I didn't start to read it yet, but I'm fairly disappointed already. The book is quite small, 280p long, and half of them (from page 161 to the end) is exercise descriptions with pictures! That's not what I was looking for! What I wanted to do is to read about her 'three keys to health and lasting weight loss', and when I was browsing about this book, I didn't find anywhere or anyone mentioning about those exercise descriptions. I am not going to return it, because the price is a joke, and going to give it a try...
on 26 September 2009
This book is amazing. I know quite a bit about weight loss but this book makes it so simple to understand. You can work out exactly how much you need to eat based on your metabolic rate and it also helps you figure out what sort of oxidizer you are. This really helps you feel focused and the Science section is wonderful. It makes the maths of losing weight so simple and easy to understand. I love Jillian Michaels and ever since I saw her on the Biggest Loser I knew she had the correct attitude for weight loss that lasts. I've lost another 30 lbs already thanks to this book and I highly recommend it.

Even if you already have a clear idea of what you need to do to lose weight, this book will help you focus your energy where it's needed most. The exercises in the back are worth a look and although some of them require gym equipment, you can do most of it at home. I have all three of her DVDs (burn fat, boost metabolism; 30 day shred; no more trouble zones) and I'd recommend all of them too. If you aren't afraid to work for your weight loss goal then I'd highly recommend all of her products!
on 17 August 2008
Both this book and Jillians other new book Making The Cut are well worth owning(I sent for her new one from the USA Amazon). they contain sound advice and as an obese woman myself I know how hard it is to get motivated when everything hurts and your out of breath. Jillian breaks things down into manageable steps and puts her biggest loser black team formula into a great program that is easy to do at home without tons of equipment. the nutrition priciples are sound and follow Glycemic Loading which is by far easier than GI. I have lost 20lb in eight weeks which for me with a starting size of 284lb and a diagnosis of hypothyroid and type 2 diabetes is nothing short of a miracle. Jillian pulls no punches and is known for being a kick ass trainer but it works and I am looking forward to being the best I can be. if you need to see more get the books and have a look at the couples Biggest loser online and see how great Ali Vincent the first girl biggest loser and kelly field runner up look now they were both jillians team members. dont know about you but I want that for myself and jillians the trainer to help you get it SO BUY HER BOOKS you wont regret it. She has a great website too which anyone worldwide can join unlike the biggest loser website which at present only accepts members from the USA and Canada.
on 17 May 2013
I really like Gillian, She takes no prisioners and I like her positive, no S*** attitude. This book is quite interesting and motivating. But I have alread read a lot of diet books so I already knew quite alot of what she tells you. However there are some interesting quizzes to fill out and exercises in the back. But i have her exercise DVDs so I didnt bother reading the end of it. I would recommend.
on 10 September 2010
This book really does tell you everything you need to know. Being a bit of a diet fanatic i already knew a lot about various diets and what certain foods you should be avoiding etc, but this book properly goes indepth as to WHY you should and shouldn't be eating certain foods, exactly what it does for your body etc. The Self part of the book is brilliant, I think that really is the most beneficial part of the book and I learnt stuff about myself I didnt realise before. I haven't put any of the sweat section into practise as I already have my own exercise plan, however just browsing through it it definitely looks good. Very pleased I bought this book and if your buying this book not knowing an awful lot about nutrition and stuff yet then it may become your bible!
on 28 January 2011
I bought this book alongside some of Jillian's fitness dvd's after watching a series of 'The Biggest Loser US'. I have a lot of respect for her methods and find her extremely inspirational. This book was packed full of advice on maintaining the right frame of mind for making healthy choices and not succumbing to temptation. It focuses on the science behind weightloss and this section I personally found the most useful. It has helped me to lose weight in a controlled and healthy manner, I believe it is a way of looking at food that is easily maintained as I have experienced none of the usual feelings of dissatisfaction or deprivation.
on 3 October 2011
Was disappointed in this book. It is probably informative if you know little or nothing about sustainable weight loss and exercise, or if you live in America. The SELF section basically told you to look after yourself and make time for bubble baths, the SCIENCE to eat sensibly and the SWEAT to incorporate weight and interval training. Nothing new here. Wish I'd put the money towards one of her DVDs, which are excellent.
on 5 March 2011
This book is fantastic. Lots of helpful information. Gave me motivation to get myself into shape + really great exercise circuit. I used to be pretty fit before I had my son 3 months ago and I wasn't sure whether the circuit would be a challenge; boy was I wrong! Would definitely recommend this week if you are trying to get back into shape.
on 15 June 2010
I brought this book having seen the previous reviews and read the opening pages of this book using the 'Look Inside' feature. I've also been watching the Biggest Loser - a TV show in which Jillian Michaels is a trainer - so I was expecting the book to be a lot like the way she would talk to someone about losing weight and I was right. This is an amazing book and has changed my life and the way I perceive food, myself and relationships. I have to point out, the change is not overnight! If it were that simple, as Jillian points out, I would have done it already - the book is fantastic at tackling weight problems and their triggers. I still do refer to it even after owning it for a month as bad habits often occur with eating and it's nice to go back and re-read a paragraph to find something new about myself in my winning by losing world. It also becomes a reference book as it details lots and lots of useful exercises towards the end of the book. IF YOU WANT TO BE HEALTHIER, FITTER and GOOD ON THE INSIDE AS WELL AS THE OUT...THIS BOOK IS FOR YOU! Hope this helps.