on 4 January 2018
It's always difficult for most, if not all people, to name their 'Hero', but for me this man is most certainly up there with the most qualified for that honour, and 2,407 carrier landings? 487 types of aircraft? Survivor of a torpedo sinking? Good grief! If you are in any way into aircraft, combat, engineering, flying, humour, humanity, philosophy, history, psychology, then look no further. PS: For a taster of this magical man, go to BBC R4 and search in the 'catch up' for him on Desert Island Discs. I am so sad he's gone and I regret not having been able to meet him and shake his hand. Sadly missed.
on 6 January 2018
Second hand book, I think I paid a penny for with £2.80 postage. The sort of book you cannot put down, in fact I read it twice it was so good. Winkle was a Navy pilot and most of his flying career was spent test flying including a lot of captured aircraft immediately after the second World War
on 2 January 2018
Great book and thoroughly good read. Personally would have loved more detail at times regarding testing and the aircraft themselves but I guess that could easily make the book five times longer in this case. Fascinating story of the incredible life and career of a modest gentlemen.
on 1 June 2017
There will never be anyone like Captain Brown again. Whilst it is not great literature, the indefatigable nature of the man and the stories he has to tell carry the whole book.
on 16 May 2017
It was amazing how many bullets this man dodged. It couldn't have been luck it must have been down to his extraordinary skill. Now that was a life worth living an an inspiration to us all.
on 18 July 2017
A great read from the man that flew more aircraft types than any other. He did so much for British aviation. The right stuff.
on 4 January 2018
Christmas present so I haven't read it. Fast delivery. My uncle was very happy with it
on 26 April 2017
Brilliant. very good book. The true stories are always the best.
on 16 November 2017
Captain Brown is a real British hero. We need heroes in this country more than ever.

Read this wonderful book as his true story makes James Bond look like he sits around all day!
on 12 November 2017
An excellent read, such a fascinating gentlemen who achieved so much. Fearless and yet modest, typical of that generation, the like of which I very much doubt we shall ever see again.