- Paperback: 296 pages
- Publisher: Springer; Softcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1996 edition (30 Jun. 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0792340744
- ISBN-13: 978-0792340744
- Product Dimensions: 16 x 1.7 x 24 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 5,352,082 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Windows on Mathematical Meanings: Learning Cultures and Computers (Mathematics Education Library) Paperback – 30 Jun 1996
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Noss and Hoyles take on the field of Mathematics Education as a whole to develop a coherent theoretical framework that will encompass its psychological, social, pedagogical and epistemological dimensions. Their pages abound with socratic flies to torment anyone who claims to understand concepts like abstract, concrete, formal, common-sensical and even mathematics, without the context of an elaborated theory. At the same time they present the most elaborated theoretical discussion to date of how the computer presence might contribute to the development of the field."
Seymour Papert, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
`I would say that the book is very readable, and contains a number of interesting details as well as the construction of a theory. It is one important step in developing a theoretical framework for the use of technology in mathematics education.'
Nordic Studies in Mathematical Education, 3 (1997)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Education Studies & Teaching > School Education & Teaching > Lesson planning > Teaching of Specific Subjects
- Books > History > Social & Economic History > Health & Welfare
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Discrete Mathematics
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > Education > Teaching Aids
- Books > Science & Nature > Mathematics > History of Mathematics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Maths
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Mathematics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Social Issues > Social Welfare & Services