- Amazon Student Members Get an Extra 10% Off Selected Books Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Windows 8.1 for Seniors for Dummies (For Dummies (Computers)) Paperback – Large Print, 13 Dec 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the Back Cover
- Use the Start screen, set up user accounts, and customize Windows 8.1
- Browse the web, use e–mail, and connect with family on Facebook®
- Install apps, enjoy music, or post your photos
- Back up your files and restore Windows 8.1
Just want to get things done with Windows 8.1? Relax this book makes it easy!
Technology does seem to move at lightning speed, doesn′t it? Don′t be intimidated; this friendly book is here to help! It explains, in plain English, how to get things done with Windows 8.1 by helping you set up accounts, get online, handle e–mail, create a Facebook account, buy and install apps, upload photos, watch movies, and so much more.
- The basic stuff if you′re new to computers, here′s where you learn how to use a mouse or a touchscreen, the keyboard, and the Windows Start screen
- About apps manage apps and tiles on the Start screen so you can easily find what you use most
- Set up user accounts create a Microsoft account, attach an e–mail address, and set a password and PIN
- Go online browse the web with Internet Explorer® and learn to search for anything
- Keep in touch manage your e–mail, explore social networks, add your contacts to the People app, and make Skype® calls
- Fun stuff shop for apps; view, share, and print photos; play music; and watch movies
- Necessary stuff learn basic maintenance to keep Windows happy
- In the sky organize your documents, store files on SkyDrive®, and make backups
Open the book and find:
- How to rearrange tiles on the Start screen
- Help with adjusting Windows 8.1 settings
- Tips for using the expanded Search function
- Advice on using the Calendar
- Social networking tips
- How to buy and install apps
- Hints on saving and sharing photos
- Easy ways to find missing files
About the Author
Peter Weverka is a tech guru with nearly 20 years of experience as a technology author. His Office All–in–One For Dummies is the top–selling book on Microsoft Office. Mark Justice Hinton teaches classes on a variety of technology topics and maintains a tech–help blog at www.mjhinton.com/help.
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
I have certainly not fully mastered 8.1(which seems much less intuitive than XP) yet or even finished the book, but feel I can safely recommend it to other 'Seniors'. If I had one criticism, it relates to the order in which some of the advice is given. Having transferred all the data from my old computer onto the new one, I didn't know where to find my files and this doesn't seem to be dealt with until the penultimate chapter. However, clicking on the chapter list at the beginning of the book does take you straight to the page selected, which is helpful.
Whether it is any better or worse than the other options on the Amazon list, I don't know but, overall, but I think most low-tech users like me will find it very useful.
I wish the book devoted more space to computer back ups and file saving, which would be invaluable to counteract inevitable errors made during the learning process.
Windows 8.1 isn't universally accepted as 'user friendly', this book goes part way to improving the friendship.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category