Customer reviews

on 18 April 2017
I have used this guide for Windows XP, Vista and 7 and have found the one for Windows 10 just as comprehensive. Recommended as an in depth guide to using the operating system.
on 24 August 2017
I am very happy with this book
on 5 June 2017
great
on 29 March 2017
Excellent in depth book and covers anything you might need for Windows 7.
on 18 July 2014
Good reference book, used often
on 27 June 2010
I think this is probably the third of these I've bought for various incarnations of Windows now and overall I've been satisfied.

Windows 7 is the most user friendly version of windows so far (wow I said that!) and a novice with simple needs might find this book a bit much. However it has certainly helped me to get into some of the new areas of the os in a fairly painless way. The new "search" would be an example of this. Equally the new explorer has quite a lot of useful features in it - not sure how quickly I would have found them without this book. There are a number of other similar examples I could give.

The book probably paid for itself in helping me to network non win7 machines (Microsoft assumes of course that you will only want to network win7 machine and the system help is - well - unhelpful). This book got me through it quickly and sensibly.

Any complaints - well it could actually be a bit more techy for me I guess - some of the stuff is aimed pretty low (tho I would not recommend this for a real beginner). Equally there is a "microsoft" orientation to the authoring only pointing out non ms programs as a last resort (but then the book is about win7). The fact that they trot out the ms justification for the firewall not bothering to check outgoing traffic seems a bit silly to me (they even manage to give reasons why you would not want an av program in the same chapter).

However for anyone moving to win7 from XP for example (such as me) the book is useful, easy to read/understand and helps you get the best from a good (!) operating system quickly.
on 2 February 2010
This is a large weighty book with over 1000 pages. It is, as described, very comprehensive but sometimes you have a bit of a struggle to get useful 'how-to' info from the pages. Also, and disappointingly, it does ocasionally refer you to Microsoft web pages for further information not already within the book. So, it is not entirely fully comprehensive within the book after all. However I would recommend it as a stand by reference work when the help pages in Windows 7 leave you wondering. Worth buying.
on 15 February 2011
Nearly perfect book. Well structured, enough detail with references elsewhere if you need more indepth knowledge. What lets it down is the upgrade information,migrating from XP. Impossible to upgrade with custom install option, using the clean, formatted hard disk option. Needed to use Google for solution. May be because its a Microsoft Book and a vested interest?
Using it as a reference book for 3 PC (2 desktop/1 laptop) network/media streaming setup + various other setup/configuration options. Good Value (from Amazon) & mostly very useful.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2015
I've purchased this series since Windows 7 and always found them a great help for me as an intermediate computer user. The book should be used as a reference work for solving issues etc. For that purpose it's layout is really helpful. I would have given it 5 stars but obviously it does not cover the major November 2015 update and, consequently, it's already been overtaken by the latest OS version. Microsoft's new approach to regularly updating its new operating system is a cause for concern in this respect as none of these reference books is ever likely to keep pace.
on 5 December 2009
I recently upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows Vista. It was a great experience, but there is so much new and amazing stuff in Windows 7 that it's hard to find out how to do stuff. For that, this guide is indispensable, just as the previous Windows Vista version of this book was for Vista. It gives you a guided tour through installing Windows 7, going from preparing to install right through to personalisation and customising the system to suit yourself and it also serves as a great reference manual for those "how do I do .." questions. For ease, it also has a CD-version of the book which is searchable on your computer to answer such questions. I'd say that this book makes a natural companion to Windows 7, especially because there are so many changes and improvements in the new system, compared to what has gone before.