on 15 March 2009
This book is part autobiography, part cookbook. In the first half of the book we learn of Willie's hard but idyllic childhood, followed by a tough early adulthood that leads to travels that eventually take him to Venezuela. The stories about how he comes across a cacao plantation, buys it, improves it, and decides to move in to chocolate making are all recounted in the recent TV series but here are much more interestingly told, and in more detail. I could recommend the book just for the first half. However, the second half of the book, Willie's recipes, is also very rewarding. When I watched the TV series my attention was always held by Willie's cooking, and in particular the ways he could find to add chocolate into his dishes. Well, I have already tried out a few of the recipes in the book (for Hot Chocolate, Cacao Bread, and Chicken Mole) and found the results delicious! He may look a bit crazy but there's no doubt that Willie is a force for good in the world of fine chocolate. He was a deserving winner of the Academy of Chocolate's Personality of The Year Award in 2008.
11 Comment| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 3 October 2017
Great book for chocolate lovers!
on 20 March 2015
I love this book full of great ideas
on 10 April 2009
My girlfriend bought me this book and we're both hooked! We've tried most of the recipes and I've never tasted chocolate like it; even when you can't get hold of the special 100% cacao stuff they taste absolutely delicious. One problem - you'll never be able to go back to Cadburys...
on 9 April 2009
Absolutely brilliant. Willie's passion is evident throughout the book, and what a wonderful tale of triumph over adversity. I love how use the chocolate can be used in both sweet and savoury recipes - congratulations Willie on a superb book. Worth every penny.
on 16 April 2009
After watching both programmes following Willie and his family living the dream, I was slightly disappointed that the first half of the book is all about his journey which if you'd watched the Channel 4 programmes you would already have known.
Second half of the book - the recipes these are great and we have tried most of them after stocking back up on the chocolate. Still struggling to get a bar of Willie's new range of chocolate but we will not be defeated.
Willie and his family are a true inspiration in never giving up regardless of what life throws at you and living the dream.
VINE VOICEon 19 August 2009
Watching the programmes about the setting up of the chocolate factory was absolutely exhausting! The man is a human dynamo of boundless energy and endless enthusiasm which is a trait I really admire and not many people on television truly have; David Attenborough, Tony Robinson and the late Steve Irwin have/had it in buckets and love 'em or hate 'em, they are totally engaging.

I, contrary to some of the other reviewers, found the autobiographical section of the book really interesting, if a little brief in real detail which was a shame. I admire the get up and go attitiude some people have -being someone who considers everything from every angle - and his determination that he would succeed at all costs. The receipes are lovely and once you've tasted his caco, you'll find ordinary chocolate super sweet and sickly.

Lovely photos, a real success story and a really inspirational character.
on 4 January 2014
Willie has written his life story here, and it is fascinating. You also get some great recipies using chocolate. It is quite hard to find the products in normal shops, Waitrose sell the chocolate bars but seem to have discontinued the raw cacao block for cooking, however you can buy it from Willie's web site.
on 7 May 2015
For those that remember the TV programme a great fun reminder. The first half is a high-octane autobiography, and the second half chocolate-related recipes. So far only one tried, the drinking chocolate, which was great. The others look as though they should be equally delicious.
on 16 September 2009
We were recommended to this book by a relative. My son made the chocolate biscuits with his cousin (he is only 10 years old) and felt that we should add the book to our collection of cookbooks. We have since made a number of things (brownies and chocolate cupcakes) which were all a chocoholics heaven. Could not recommend this book more highly. Recipes extremely easy and do not fail.