• Customer reviews

on 13 March 2017
i have been using these blades for a few years now and never had a problem until i bought them from Amazon, they were blunt and cut my face. it really was an unpleasant experience, so i tried another a few days later and the same feeling so i threw the rest away i went to Boots and bought some more and they were fine. i have to think these were fake
VINE VOICEon 25 July 2014
I have always used Gillette blades over the years. I thought I would try Wilkinson Sword as the blades were so much cheaper than Gillette blades. When shaving along the normal lines of the face, these blades are superior to Mach 3 blades in terms of lubrication and drag. They give a closer shave with less irritation. The problem comes from the fact that you cannot get close to the hair just underneath each nostril. The Fusion blades have a cutter on the reverse of the blade, so making it very easy to cut off these hairs, not so with Wilkinson blades. You end up with soft smooth skin, yet have little tufts of hair underneath your nose, a big drawback. I have tried holding the razer at different angles to cut these hairs, but to no avail.

Overall if they had a rear blade cutter, to enable small areas of hairs to be cut in the same way as a Fusion, I would give the blades 5 stars. As they do not have such a blade, I have to say they are superior to Gillette in the actual shave, but they leave hairs in awkward places. Good but could be better.
22 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 29 May 2015
These blades are good value compared to supermarket prices, but be sure to order them with something else to avoid high postage and packing charges. If you incur those charges, you might as well buy in the supermarket.

I am pleased with this product and have used it for well over a year. I find the shave smooth and each blade lasts up to a month with careful cleaning.

The blades come packed in small plastic trays, each of which hold four. It's a little fiddly getting the blade onto the handle but that's no problem really.

I use these blades in conjunction with shaving gel, as opposed to foam. I can't say that any particular brand of gel brings out the best in the razor, so I tend to buy what seems best value at the time.

I haven't had any 'bad' blades yet so the manufacturing quality seems consistent.

Shaving materials are an intensely personal choice: I can report that these blades suit me and I am likely to stay with them.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 August 2013
I wrote a review previously about the handle and blade and not much has changed in my eyes. I believe that the Mach 3 is the definitive razor to beat and the marker for comparison: yes it has been around a long time, but three blades has been sufficient to give me a very close shave up until now, so that was the one to beat.

I achieved a very close shave at least as good as the Mach 3 if not better: the one thing that I didn't like is the sheer bulk of the razor cartridge, which being much larger than a Mach 3 blade made it much harder to shave that bit just below my nose. Allowing for that one negative comment, I do feel that it is better than a Mach 3 but whether it would be worth replacing a Mach 3 for the sake of it I am not sure it would be worth the money, but as I have it now, I am very pleased.

UPDATE 10TH NOVEMBER 2015

I have been using the razor and replacement blades now for over three years. The blades continue to provide me with a close shave, particularly with the still original oscillating handle (had to change the battery once) still carrying the blade refill. The blades remain the same, last for a similar period; for me around 10 shaves, but I have known them to last longer if my Amazon if I am out of sync with my Amazon Subscribe and Save order. Still a quality item and competitively priced.
on 15 September 2015
I've shaved for years and years with an electric shaver and it was always very good, I decided to give wet shaving another go and haven't used my electric shaver again since. I really like the Wilkinson Sword products and the Hydro 5 razor and blades are very good indeed. The blades are nice and sharp and stay sharp for a lot of shaves, yet they are gentle too, the built in gel also enhances the closeness of the shave while minimising drag and nicks/burn.

I use mine with Nivea for men cooling shave gel and I am very pleased with the end result.

No more blood baths like I used to get when I wet shaved many years ago (the reason I switched to electric)
on 13 February 2015
I have to say that I am very impressed with these razor blades; they give such a smooth shave and the blades last such a long time, the price is very reasonable too! I'd been using Gillette Fusion since I started needing to shave, and at first I believed that Gillette was the best that there was, but soon enough, that view changed - it was costing me a fortune to shave, and I was finally persuaded to try Wilkinson Sword.

These razor blades have given me the best shave I'v ever had, and I'm pleased to say that I've found my replacement razor. If you've had enough of Gillette and want a replacement razor, or have just stated shaving for the first time, then I highly recommend Wilkinson Sword to you!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 January 2013
I love these blades but decided they were too expensive, so I (rather stupidly) decided that any 5-bladed razor would do the same job, I chose AS#A's own disposable 3 pack thinking they would be fine - very bad mistake. I shave my head so I was used to using the 'Wilkies' and enjoying smooth quick close shaving and I expected the same. Oh no. I ended up using 2 razors on my face and head because of a simple problem - in that the blades on the shop razors are too close together, therby trapping hair very quickly, rendering the razor virtually useless almost right away! Add to that the screams my neihgbours must have heard when using aftershave afterwards - due to the numerous tiny cuts my head had received and I certainly won't make the same mistake again. I don't profess to understand the science behind these blades, all I know is they can't be beaten for shaving quality, and Amazon can't be beaten for price. Enjoy.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 September 2012
I have been wet shaving for a few years now, having tried various razors from the Fusion to this, and even DE safety razors. I still find that the Hydro 5 is the easiest and quickest to use and gives a close shave with the minimum of passes without leaving a rash or sore skin afterwards. It is also much cheaper to run that the other well known razor and the blades last at least 4x as long, so great all round. I recommend anyone to try the Hydro 5. Blades are cheaper here than anywhere I have found and delivery is quick as usual.
on 10 March 2016
Cutting (no pun intended) a long story short: these are the best multi-blade cartridges available, in my opinion. The lubrication system is better than Gillette's Fusion. Also, these blades do not last as long as the Hydro 5 blades: 4 or 5 shaves and the Gillette almost always deteriorate. The 'pull-down' lubrastrip on the Wilkinson Sword allows easy access to corners and awkward places, while the Gillette gives you an extra blade at the top of the cartridge. This might seem an advantage, but it is all but used by the time the unit is thrown away, because the blades are too blunt for a good and comfortable shave. All in all, I will stay with Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5.
on 18 June 2014
These Hydro 5 blades really do give a good shave and they are long lasting I would advise you buy from amazon sellers as the last lot of these blades I bought of Ebay and they were fakes there seems to be plenty of fake blades around. You soon know they are fake because they fail after a couple of shaves, so beware where you buy them. These 8 blade packs were the best value when I purchased them because it was FREE P&P, another Amazon seller wanted £6.99 P&P for a pack of four that brought the price up close to this 8 pack ....do your homework beware of some seller high postage charges