Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2001
Lovely, well researched biography, with good and full information from childhood to death. Numerous photographs also accompany the text. It contains many useful quotes from Wilfred Owen's younger brother, as well as poems and excerps from letters by Wilfred Owen. The volume is finished off beautifully with an amazing afterward.
on 16 December 2013
I was introduced to Wilfred Owen's poetry many years ago by a colleague who used to recite as a 'party piece' the poem 'Dulce et Decorum est' - and I never failed to be moved by the words. Over the years I have often used Owen's poetry in talks, addresses, presentations, readings and sermons. Once, as a young curate, I used 'Parable of the Old Men and the Young' at a Remembrance Day Service; after I had finished there was a seemingly eternal silence, before a Second World War veteran came up to me and grabbed my hand and said, "Thank God someone has had the guts to say it how it was."
Although I read the more recent biography by Dominic Hibberd, I found it dry and lacking in soul, this biography though is first rate. I appreciate this is a reprint, but nevertheless Jon Stallworthy's book stands as a great biography and both concisely written and very lively to read.
This reprint is well presented and a sturdy book to hold, read from and keep.
on 5 April 2011
This was purchased for my wife (it was a used item as there were no new ones and it was as good as new). She has not had her head out of it since I bought it and I think she is now reading it for the second time, she has told me he was a very interesting gentleman and it was a present she is delighted with.
on 30 December 2014
Excellent biography of the soldier poet...traces the humanity, heroism and tragedy of a life cut short.....
on 19 August 2014
like being there in the trenches. so real, so sad.
on 10 August 2014
I love this collection!
on 28 September 2014
excellent book
on 24 December 2013
i bought this for my grandson who is of to university to study military history later this year hopefully london