VINE VOICEon 29 August 2011
I collected the Far Side books as they came out, and had them all. Then I emigrated, and couldn't take them with me. Now I have collected them all again, and my kids (aged 9 and 11 years) love them!

The book contains the usual quota of mad scientists, giant squids, women with beehive hairdos and so on, so if you like Far Side, you won't be disappointed. I regard this as one of the best collections from the series. It's well-worth considering The Pre-History of the Far Side as a next step if you haven't already read it. Then you might (only might) understand what's going on in his head...

The cartoons in Wiener Dog Art haven't aged or grown old, and I still laugh out loud when I read the best ones. This book has a colour section in the middle, which adds a lot to the fun. The index is a stand-out feature, which you have to see for yourself. It's very silly. There are a lot of classic cartoons here which are generally international - I can understand most of the references, but you will always find the odd US cultural reference that hasn't travelled. My wife (an American by birth) can't explain all of them to me, but that's going to be true of anything from a different cultural background. Sometimes Larson just refers to things so far back that she has never heard of them...
on 27 November 2003
I know we are probably a strange breed as are our dogs, but so seems to be Gary Larson, too. And quite a character, just as dachshunds. Who else would have thought of painting copies of Dali, Picasso and Rubens - but using wiener dogs as models? There are eight versions of wiener dog art reaching from cave paintings to Munch's (?) "Whine" - with Larson's hilarious comments on the value, meaning and originality of the paintings. Otherwise the book contains his usual quirky comics, though the cover itself is already one form of wiener dog art. Good gift for dog lovers and people who like Larson's sense of humour.
on 7 March 2015
very funny book excellent value