Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Learn More Shop now Cloud Drive Photos DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Watchmen forum

Who said "comic books" are for kids?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 14 Oct 2007 02:19:37 BDT
M. J. Kelly says:
Im new to the whole graphic novel scene, and, after reading 3/4 of the Preacher series (which is also immense) I can not recommend this book enough. Yes I was very sceptical how a "comic" could take you on a rollercoaster, a cheap inexpensive ride that would end up being better than any normal book and more entertaining than any hollywood blockbuster you spent the admission fee on. Dynamic, Expertly written and full of more twists and turns than an m night shymalan movie, this is genius, pure genius. The ending is the best, because We the reader can sit gloating that everything will be understood. Again, Genius story writing.

In reply to an earlier post on 9 Oct 2008 00:03:02 BDT
i agree i only started reading graphic novels (p.s. don't call them comics cause that sounds childish while graphic novels makes it sound like a piece of literature) at 17 and i love them. watchmen and the dark knight returns are as thought provoking and intellectually stimulating as any book or film. i know graphic novels are designed for kids in general but thats not true for the whole medium, i mean maus (haven't read it yet but i know the jist) doesn't sound suitable for a youth and neither is the killing joke (so far all of the batman comics) or even more light hearted graphic novels like y the last man are clearly designed for the teenage and above audience with the moral questions we are asked by the author. anyway that was my two pence and i must admit i am most likely defending this cause i love it so much. also you must know that im a huge scifi fan so im not the most reliable person to determine whether something is childish or not since when i see spaceships and robots i giggle to myself.

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Oct 2008 21:36:06 BDT
[Deleted by the author on 18 Oct 2008 21:36:14 BDT]

In reply to an earlier post on 22 Dec 2008 21:15:03 GMT
I started reading graphic novels last christmas with Sin City: The Big Fat Kill...Then I decided that Comics (or Graphics Novels) were not for kids

I also read Wanted (not in anyway for Kids) and a couple of AvP short stories....now Im hooked, and after showing Graphic Novels to the skeptics ....Im not considered "geeky" either, as many of them I have read, are better written than most books, contain extraordinary pencilling and feature graphic scenes of violence and gore

Killing Joke and Watchmen for Christmas!...and I have just ordered Batman: Going Sane and I am about order V for Vendetta, Batman: Hush, Year one and the Dark knight Returns (are these good choices?)

I strongly suggest reading "Wanted" it has extremely little to do with the film and is pleasantly violent

In reply to an earlier post on 3 Mar 2009 20:58:31 GMT
There's nothing wrong with calling them comics. Like Scott McCloud says in Understanding Comics - the problem is people associate the word comics with kids stuff. Being unafraid to call these books comics will help erode those preconceptions. Alan Moore calls Watchmen a comic book. If it's good enough for him surely it should be good enough for us.

Posted on 4 Sep 2009 11:18:15 BDT
D. Davies says:
I discovered graphic novels at 30! A friend of mine made me read Watchmen, and I've been hooked since. Since then have been through Millers Batman, Moores Superman and (my current favourite) Judge Dredd. My wife thinks I've gone mad, and doesn't understand that it's not kids stuff! It's still a guilty pleasure though, and one that I tend to keep quiet.

I nearly reprimanded a bunch of unruly teenagers on the train the other day, but I realised that when they saw me reading Judge Dredd I would likely lose any credibility as an authority figure!

Posted on 11 Sep 2009 20:24:47 BDT
JJG says:
I totally agree with the_eyeball_kid, little annoys me more than someone using the term 'graphic novel'. Comics are comics, they are different to prose literature, not better, not worse, just different. Sure some comics are fairly childish and others more adult, but that is the same with any medium from novels to films to music.
If some people need to qualify their reading of a comic book by call it a graphic novel then fine, but they really shouldn't be so shallow, the fact is great stories come in all shapes and forms, so if a great story like V for Vendetta comes along in a form generally considered for kids then so what, a good story is a good story, I'll read it just the same.

In reply to an earlier post on 1 Mar 2011 19:06:40 GMT
M. C. Gloady says:
Er, surely holding an image of Joe Dredd in your hand would automatically imbue you with extra authority. Especially when dealing with troublesome juves on the zoom.

Comics. Not graphic novels. Nothing annoys me more than pseuds and snobs. Nobody calls a novel that thinking "this term means "new"" do they? Being afraid of words is plain daft.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Watchmen forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  14 Oct 2007
Latest post:  1 Mar 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Watchmen
Watchmen by Alan Moore (Paperback - Nov. 1987)
4.7 out of 5 stars (293)