on 24 February 2015
What weird book! I don't think the author has ever heard of proof readers- there are sentences in there which make no sense at all, but for all that I found it surprisingly readable. It captures the atmosphere of fear and mistrust in Whitechapel at the time quite convincingly.
on 11 December 2011
I like Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes. It has everything you want in a serial killer thriller and Bernard never shies away from showing Victorian London for what it was. For most people, a Victorian thriller involving Sherlock Holmes calls to mind tea parties, deerstalkers, merry gentlemen who can do no harm... you know, every cliche in the book. That's been done. It's been done to death and to be honest with you I'm bored of it. It's why I don't watch Downton Abbey. That is not the real England.
The England I know has a very dark side to it. Growing up in an impoverished urban area in the nineties, I've seen my fair share of people living on the edge of poverty, and that is the side of England that is very rarely portrayed in literature.
And I tell you what, it was no different a hundred and fifty years ago. People still had the same problems (no money) there was a very evident class divide (as there is today), and people were living in less-than-satisfactory conditions (look at the housing crisis in England today).
As a detective, Bernard has seen all of that in the US and has transplanted his experience of that REALITY to Whitechapel to write a novel that deals with realism, not fantasy.
When people reviewed Whitechapel, a few criticized it for being 'too realistic.'
I don't understand this viewpooint. But Bernard being the professional that he is, has gone back and slightly rewritten Whitechapel to cater for those who can't handle that reality being thrown at them.
Was London a seething cess pool back then? Yep. Were there prostitutes selling their bodies for next to nothing just to survive who were brutally and sadistically murdered? Yep.
Why shy away from that?
But still, here we are with Whitechapel 'The Genlemen's Edition'.
It is still the same book. But it is toned down. It is a bit more friendly.
I liked the book just as much as the original Whitechapel, but it is inferior in removing that hard edge the original has.
I hope you like Whitechapel: The Final Stand Of Sherlock Holmes: The Gentlemen's Edition but I would seriously recommend that you seek out the original Whitechapel here: Whitechapel: The Final Stand of Sherlock Holmes

I prefer reality. I don't see why you would want that removed.

Tony
on 12 December 2013
I loved this book...I'm a big Sherlock Holmes fan...and the inclusion of the Jack the Ripper backdrop made it more enjoyable.
on 21 October 2013
excellent read very well written just wish there was more !l just could not put it down well done would recommend
on 9 December 2013
If you are a Holmes freak like me this may get a bit of getting used to. Stay with it as It is really good story
on 4 January 2014
Found this book quite predictable although the story did have a new slant which made it a bit more interesting
on 11 July 2015
Avoid avoid avoid!!!
If you're a Holmes can do not read this garbage!
I wish I could unread it!
on 17 December 2014
This is a terrible Holmes story where the characters are not true to the canon.