White Identities: An Historical and International Introduction Paperback – 4 Nov 1999
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"...Bonnett's is a project somewhat different from existing studies on whiteness"
"It makes an important critique of existing studies of whiteness"
"...a nice collection that provides four case studies that can be considered individually or collectively as examples of how to'do' white studies" Jamie Winders, University of Kentucky (Progress In Human Geography 27, 6)
From the Back Cover
Once studies of race and ethnicity were dominated by discussion of non-western and exotic identities. However, recent years have seen the development of a debate on the meaning and nature of a supposedly very 'normal' or 'ordinary' identity - whiteness.
White Identities provides a comprehensive overview of this debate, drawing together the various strands of recent research into an accessible but challenging introduction. The author argues that 'White Studies', as it is presently conceived, is an American project, reflecting American interpretations of race and history. However the book shows that the impact of white identities is international in scope and significance. Thus, only a thorough historical and international perspective on whiteness can provide a proper introduction to the subject, an introduction that has relevance to students worldwide.
Alastair Bonnett is a Lecturer in Human Geography, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Education > Higher Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Earth Sciences & Geography > Geography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Ethnography & Ethnology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Physical
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Human Geography
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Multicultural Studies