Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Have read all the books and they just get better and better, and the more I read the more I am sure Hermes is some messenger from the gods, so many things are strange, like those around him age , he does not, the punishment always fits the crime. There is also the earthly aspect of the well drawn greek characters. I love Hermes and his white tennis shoes(were they made by Nike, I wonder) I love the way Greece is described in real terms , not glossy travel broucher speak. In fact I am hoping there is another on the way. Thank you Ms Zouroudi for such an intelligent , charming and colouful character.
VINE VOICEon 12 September 2013
I love Anne Zouroudi's Hermes Diaktoros books. You are easily transported to the Greek islands and the fat man is an excellent companion. There is a lightness to the story writing that belies the serious crime and the effect it has on various people and a sadness is woven in to the tale amongst the happier endings.
This story concerns a renowned poet whose death has left his family in dire financial straits. When, by Greek custom, his remains are exhumed the mystery begins.
Hermes - the fat man - is a strange figure. Who or what is he? There is more than a whiff of the Greek myth about him which makes him all the more fascinating.
I heartily recommend any of these thoroughly enjoyable books for the insight into rural island life, for the detective story and for the fat man.
on 13 June 2017
I will gobble up anything by this author,no question.
I love a crime book that takes me either somewhere exotic or an area of the world I've never been before as this presents me with the chance to explore not only the seedy underbelly of society there but also the beliefs as well as rites that are common for the area to add a bit more mystique as well as spice to the tail.

What this book by Anne Zouroudi presented for me was a wonderful piece of escapism as I was taken by the hand to a land rich in folklore as well as modern interpretations. It's cleverly written, the plot line spectacular and when added with a lead character that was multifaceted so that I could get to grips with him, it really made the story sing. Add to this the multi-layered perspectives of the principle players and it was an omnipotent title for the reader to digest. All in a wonderful addition to anyone's Crime Fiction library and one that I will definitely endeavour to read the earlier titles for in order to get the full impact of this wonderful author.
on 26 June 2011
I started to read this latest book in the series in the afternoon and (apart from a brief break for dinner) didn't put it down until I had finished it the same night. For me this is the best Hermes Diaktoros mystery yet - although who was killed, how and why is the mystery rather than "whodunnit". The author once again gives us a glimpse into the claustrophobia of small town greek life. Justice is delivered with compassion and (super?) humanity. My only regret is that I didn't pack the book away to read on the beach with a glass of retsina - great holiday reading.
on 22 August 2012
I am a complete detective novel obsessive, love agatha chrisite, Henning Mankell's Wallander, Zen etc etc and i absolutely love Hermes Diaktoros, he is so much in the tradition of the clever outsider who gets to the heart of things, but who is him or herself, quite mysterious, just like Poirot , Wallander etc etc.
I am also a lover of greece , especially the islands, so the evocation of Greek village life, good and bad, is fabulous, the talk of food, little shops and Kafeneons, the coffee, the fishing boats, takes me back to many fascinating holidays, and seems totally truthful to the places as i experienced them, and to the people. I am just a bit upset that i am coming to the end of the series, as I will have to search all over again to satisfy my addiction!! To me Hermes seems a very worthy successor to poirot, similar in many ways, overly fond of his habits , food, drink, solitude but also loveable and insightful into the human condition. Something like a perfect uncle, but with a darker side that is not fooled about human nature and how corrupt it can be. Wish BBC would make it into a series!!!!!!!!!!!!that would be something to watch indeed!
on 2 October 2011
I was very disappointed at first with Anne Zouridi's latest offering of Hermes Diaktorous, but it got better as the story went on. It was more difficult to follow than her previous tales, although he is always a figure shrouded in myth, but it was lovely to see another book in the series. Calm, gentle and a great holiday read I would recommend her books.
on 6 December 2011
I really loved this book. It is beautifully written, an intriguing story, well defined and interesting characters and a lot of humour and insight into the emotions of the characters. The settings were very descriptive and the depictions of food made the mouth water. I look forward to reading more novels by Anne Zouroudi.
on 10 January 2012
This is not a honey soaked Greek confection, but it is an enjoyable read. The plot is okay but it does leave one wondering why an otherwise educated man would commit such a murder. The explanation does not stack up, and some of the other details are a stretch on what reality would allow. However, I suppose the murderer could have been lucky. The detective's method of operation is unusual and he clearly has his own form of justice to mete out. The Equaliser meets Hercules Poirot!
The prose is good as is the description of all things Greek. I would not have missed the occasional use of Greek words - they did not add to the story and I did not discover the translation at the back of the book till I had finished.
on 9 August 2011
Another excellent book in the series better than the last two. Once you start reading you can't put it down. Particularly good for readers who know Greece and its Islands and people.