Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.98

on 7 July 2013
When Steve and Melody buy Hope House, they can't believe their luck. The house is beautiful, isolated and the perfect place to begin their lives together. Unfortunately for them, Hope House has a deadly secret. A secret that the local community will go to any lengths to keep.

Whisper is, without a doubt, one of the best ghost stories I've read in the last few years. Not since Heart Shaped Box has a tale chilled me like this. All of the characters are well drawn and believable, and Bray builds the tension slowly, but relentlessly, interspersing the quieter moments with flashbacks showing what happened to the previous owners of the house.

And it works brilliantly.

As the story progressed, I became increasingly drawn into the world that Bray paints, and I read the last half of the book in a single sitting, because I just could not put it down.

Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2013
Wow! What more can I say?

I thought that I would use the Easter Holiday to start reading Whisper, I began to read mainly at night knowing I wouldn't have to get up early the next day but it also extended to during the day.

I struggled!

Struggled to put it down.

Whisper, by Michael Bray, is a must read for any horror/supernatural fan out there.

From start to finish, (especially the finish) you wont be disappointed. It has everything from the nice couple Steve and Melody, to the sleazy Donovan, to last but not least, the forces. Whilst reading you just can't imagine how it will end, there are some real surprises within the book too. Not going to tell you, you just have to go and get your own copy

Michael has a way with words, his writing is right up with the Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, the cliffhangers between each chapter, will keep you reading to find out what is going to happen, not just the next chapter but the chapter after that.

I was left alone during the day for an hour while I was finishing off the final chapter, I got creeped out, thinking I was being watched {shudder}. Now when I go into the kitchen at night, I wont look out the window thanks Michael no seriously thank you for writing such a chilling and brilliant book.

Do I recommend Whisper? Hmm let me see! Well I can't wait to read more of Michael Bray's books and I suggest you do too
on 13 May 2013
I must say that Michael Bray has the potential to equal the likes of Stephen King and Richard Laymon. This is the first book of his I have read and I was captured by the suspense right away.
Story wise, without spoiling too much; start with a house in the middle of nowhere, add in a city couple and some freaky goings on and you've got yourself a cocktail of horror and thrills. Very well written, with plenty of description that enables you to visualise the settings, this book will make a great film or tv series.
His use of flashbacks was impressive and leaves you in suspense waiting to see the roots of the story. Often in books with flashback the story becomes muddied and the plot wanders but Michael kept everything to the point, not allowing himself to drag out the story for a bigger page number and he kept the scenarios separate enough that you wont become lost as to where or when you are.
The only downfall for me is merely my downfall as a reader, as my imagination is pretty poor, having spent a long time reading textbooks. His description of the main characters is minimal if not non-existent. Unfortunately as I don't even know anyone with the names I found it hard to associate a face to the characters which was a pain.
But it still only took me a couple of days to read this, including a couple of past midnight readings much to my brains disgust.
This book will envelop you into a world of thrill and curiosity, leaving you wanting more. I know I certainly cant wait for Michaels next book!
on 25 July 2013
I usually avoid reading anything that the reviews say is anything like Stephen King as apart from his early stuff, I find him a bit long winded and boring. I'm glad I give Whisper a go as I enjoyed this book very much. I liked the way the writer jumped between time periods easily and without confusion. This book has a bit of everything really. Curses, serial killers, ghosts and even a witch. While there's a lot going on, Mr Brays writing style is clear and concise which made the book an easy read. I would most certainly read something else be Michael Bray.
on 21 September 2014
This book is a decent take on the haunted/possessed house story. A young couple move into an old house with a dark atmosphere and an even darker atmosphere. The overall idea might be a familiar one but there enough twists to make it its own. I especially enjoyed the association with other members of the community, although I would have liked to see this aspect developed more.

The book is very well written and does a good job of the mounting darkness and insanity. However there are a couple of points that detracted from this for me. The first, as already mentioned, is that the tale is for the most part a familiar one. It was easy to anticipate most of the plot before it evolved. Although there are some well placed moments in there which counter this.

My other big issue was the two main characters - the husband and wife. They are a mercurial pair and some of the sudden changes in their behaviour seemed odd. They also make some of the common mistakes that characters in horror situations seem to make. I would also have liked to see a few of the secondary characters brought to life a bit more.

Those two issues aside this is a solid horror read. It builds on atmosphere rather than gore - which is always appreciated. It's well paced and has some genuinely spooky moments. A worthy read if you're a fan of supernatural horror.
on 23 March 2014
I did enjoy the book but I have a few niggles. Except for the black slaves working on building Hope House
it could have been set in England, complete with an English pub. Then I found out the author is English,
so that explains it.

I felt Donovan's change from being just a creepy "estate agent" into a sinister person was a bit strange.
In a very small community, wouldn't the locals have suspected something?

The story is that Steve and Melody buy an old house, against Steve's better judgement They gradually find
it is haunted, as is their wood behind their house. The first and the last parts were fine, but I thought it
was a bit dragged out in the middle, especially with the letters between the original house builder, Jones and
his business partners. Also there is only so many times I want to read about the house creaking, the wind raging
and the trees swaying and whispering! I found I was skipping paragraphs to get to the action again.

Also the ending, as others have said, was very predictable and I cannot believe any of the tormented house
owners before them didn't think of this obvious solution!
I downloaded this for free and although it was an o.k. read, I wouldn't pay the full price for it. Sorry!
on 26 October 2013
I really enjoyed this book.The characters came to life on their own. Very descriptive and scary in some parts.but kept me up all night wanting to read more.This writer is excellent on the way he describes every detail.Great attention to detail.Look foward to buying more books from this author
on 8 October 2014
When Steve and Melody Samson move into their idyllic cottage in the forest,
all hell breaks loose!
The history of the cottage is protected by the locals and of course they're fully
aware of the horrors that the Samsons will encounter.
It all plays along rather spookily, entwined in the menace of the trees surrounding
their home.
A jolly good haunting read.
on 5 February 2014
Gripping Read. From the first page this book got me. It's brilliantly written and sets a good strong first chapter, the best part is it's like this through out.
Steve and Melody move from the city to their new home in the country, Hope House. Not all is as it seems, and strange things begin to stir.
What happens sent chills down my spine. I loved every single word, a must read for the paranormal, horror reader.
on 30 September 2014
Whisper is one of the best ghost stories I have read in a while. It's hard to find a ghost story that is not just the same old story written in a different format and I was pleased to find that Whispers was not only original, but had both the paranormal and the more human side of horror.

It's also the first in a long time to have creeped me out. I read it in the dark during a long night of high winds, curled up on the sofa while the wind whistled down the chimney. If you have read or are reading this book, you'll understand how much that added to the creepy atmosphere while reading.

I enjoyed the switches between the different time periods, the snippets of back story which added to the growing tension of the main storyline, had me wanting to know more of the history of the house. The characters are believable and it's very easy to get drawn into the story and lost in their world. The tension builds at a nice pace and before you know it you find yourself listening for noises or checking the corners of the room.