on 9 February 2017
good
on 18 July 2014
A good book in part, but feels that the author tired in other areas. Don't let this put you off as it is a good read and there are many other positives to this book.
on 4 February 2016
Good
on 29 May 2014
Overall I did enjoy this book. Excellent writing style, though a fair number of grammatical errors. Was there no editing before publication? It is a story which held my interest but I did become frustrated by the excessive long descriptions of all manner of things; which slowed down the plot. An over long book which would have been a five star for me with a lot less of unnecessary detail. In the final stages of the book especially, the battles with the dwarves just went on and on and on! To be truthful I became somewhat bored at this point and wanted to get to the next stage in the plot, however, I need to purchase part 2 to find out more of Whill as the book ends abruptly after the dwarves triumph.
on 23 July 2017
Fairly standard coming of age fantasy, in a fairly typical fantasy world. Some nice twists though, and although a bit wooden the characters became better through the book. Enjoyed it, might go on to read the next.
on 25 July 2013
I originally bought this book in October 2012 - and decided to re-read it when the next in the series was published. About a third of the way through I realised that I had never finished it - very rare for me! I don't know why I was not engaged by this book - clearly others did not have the same problem - but for me the characters were one dimensional and I did not care about them, so once again I gave up! Obviously this is a matter of personal taste - but don't be swayed by the comparisons to David Gemmell - not in the same league!
on 29 September 2016
This is a very standard fantasy story. The plot is fairly predictable. The hero falls in love with the beautiful elf etc. I read up to the third in the series hoping it would deliver something that actually gripped me. Never did. So an OK read, but there's better out there.
on 12 July 2014
A good read, not a great start for me as whill is introduced already being a great swordsman and getting a bit too much too quick in my opinion, but i am a fan of the coming of age books or the already a hero type in an older character, that said once the story kicked in and got going after the expected explanation events i could not put the book down, one page had me laughing out loud. The book gets better and better as the story progresses and i have already purchased the second book, not quite a David Gemmell, David Eddings or Raymond E Feist but definitely up there in my opinion. If you like these authors or R A Salvator, Brent Weeks and James Barclay then its definitely worth a read as judging by how this book gets (and considering it is a first) the others will get better and better, great job and i can't wait to read the next one.
on 6 April 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Plenty of descriptions to help bring it to life. My main complaint is I found it confusing when it switches between characters and their different stories all on the same page. You get used to it, but it spoils the reading somewhat. Having said that I am hooked and looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 11 October 2016
I read books 1 to 3 a few years ago when it was sold as a trilogy and was disappointed when I had finished the trilogy. I was so happy to find out Michael Ploof was writing more 'Will of Agora' books. If you want to get lost in a good fantasy, I would highly recommend this series.