- Audio CD (23 Feb. 2009)
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: CD
- Label: Ace Records
- ASIN: B001PA7OSU
- Other Editions: Audio CD
- Average Customer Review: 4.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 170,418 in CDs & Vinyl (See Top 100 in CDs & Vinyl)
Other Sellers on Amazon
Where the Girls are, Vol. 7 CD
|Price:||£11.99 & FREE UK Delivery on orders dispatched by Amazon over £20. Delivery Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
* Can it really be as long ago as 2004 that the last volume of "Where The Girls Are" was released? Well, yes it can, but girl group fans and collectors will find the five-year wait for the latest addition to the serious has been worth every minute.
* The 26 tracks here span the years 1962-1967, with 18 of them new to CD with eight of the selections are previously unissued in any format. Among them are great tracks by proven favourites the Jaynetts, the Satisfactions, the Jelly Beans and a pre-Motown Brenda Holloway sounding a lot like her heroine Mary Wells.
* Other highlights include the Zippers from Nashville, Baby Jane and the Rockabyes from the Bronx, an elusive album track from New Jersey's Shirelles, the mysterious Puffs from Los Angeles, Chicago's Lovelites and Gary US Bonds' backup girls the Azaleas from Norfolk, Virginia.
* All in all, a veritable guided girl group tour, all wrapped up, as usual, in a nice fat 6000 word booklet positively bursting with facts and pictures. Notes by Mick Patrick.
Top customer reviews
Seems rather pointless for the 3rd time round with Claudine Clark when there's so much to go at-even Claudine's Party Lights album was not represented 100% on the recent CD
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
This CD contains, as with some other volumes in this collection, a bevy of talented performers dealing with a noticeable shortage of first-rate material. (Having already compiled over 150 obscure or previously unreleased girl-group records over the course of earlier volumes, the well is starting to run dry a bit.) Still, of the 26 tracks featured here, there is enough solid (not excellent, but solid) material to make this a worthwhile purchase for most girl-group fans. The standouts are tracks from The Shirelles, The Zippers, Marry (sic) Clayton, The Satisfactions, The Mirettes, and Baby Jane and the Rock-A-Byes. Other tracks are competent, professional, and delivered with flair, but tend to be very slight overall. Also, the version of "Party Lights" included here is a previously unreleased double-tracked mix, that doesn't -- to my ear -- have quite the same appeal as the actual single mix.
Bump the star rating up by one if you're a girl-group collector -- there's enough previously unreleased collector bait here to keep you happy. For others, this is an enjoyable CD, although not an outstanding one. But if this is indeed the final volume in this series, it's still not a bad way to go out...
(2014 UPDATE: The series does indeed continue -- Volume 8 is now out, having been released in late 2013.)