Learn more Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

on 8 June 2000
I bought this book almost twenty years ago for my daughter. It does tend to suggest that sex is done purely for the sake of having children and focuses on mum and dad but, if you overlook that, it was a wonderful book, very funny. Not only did my daughter learn from it, half the kids in the neighbourhood did too when they read it while visiting her. It presents sex in such easy to handle and fun way that my daughter used to get me to read it as her bedtime story quite regularly. It's the ideal book to ensure that your child doesn't grow up in ignorance with the inevitable myths that circulate when you are young, often causing wrong decisions and awkward moments.
on 26 April 1999
A great book for when your child askes about themselfs. You can read this book with your child or simply give it to them to read themselfs as it is very easily read. The book holds no bounds and tells it as it is. With great comical pictures it is a must for all parents and young children.
on 22 May 2006
My mum and I read this together when I was 7 years old (now 29)! It has stayed with me all these years and I'm going to get it for my daughter so she can learn about the facts of life with laughter and fun!
on 4 May 2007
This was the book given to me by my mum, in the 80's when I was 9. I remember it with fondness and recall that it covered all the questions I had at the time; it also had quite sweet pictures to accompany the information which didn't gross me out as much as photos may have done.

However, I am aware that some points may seem a little dated: for example, it suggests the parents are married when a baby is conceived.

All in all an informative book that seemed age-appropriate for myself -and later on, my sister.
on 2 July 2008
I have never written a review before but I have to correct the above reviewer. At NO point does marriage come into this book. There is an underlying impression that the mother and father have a relationship at the time of conception, but no more than that. My 6 and 8 year olds love this book and have had it on the bookshelf for the last year or so. I adore the fact the the father has a beerbelly and the the mother is no Kate Moss. It beautifully describes all the postitives in reproduction; feeling loving, orgasm, birth etc. but doesn't touch on abortion or STD's. It is just right for the stage they are at. Recommended.
on 17 March 2010
What a fantastic book. Just what I was looking for for my daughter. All the facts about how you're made by mum and dad without going into periods, contraception, gay sex, maturbation and STIs etc. all of which can come later. Every other book that I have looked at covers everything (too much information!).
on 15 August 2015
I remember this book from when I was a child so thought it would be much better than it was. There were a few things I found problematic. First, there is a lot of talk about how different men and women are because they have different private body parts. My son rightly pointed out that the man and woman both have faces and legs and arms. I thought this was quite astute and some acknowledgement of males and females are similar would go further to supporting human commonalities across sex and gender. Second, it was very dated in that there was a strong emphasis on how *only* mommies and daddies can make babies. We know families with two moms and two dads and a few single parent families have adopted embryos or had IVF treatment. This book makes it very hard to explain where babies come from outside of heterosexual families as there is no mention of any alternatives. Third, there was at least one whole page on sexual pleasure which was described as a kind of tickle in the man which made the daddy's penis hard. I thought this was too detailed for the target age group (under 8) and it was very male oriented in that only male sexual pleasure was discussed. There was no discussion of any changes that might occur in the woman's body or how important sex and sexual pleasure should be mutual and reciprocal. As a mother of boys, I felt this is a really important foundation for children to build respect and knowledge of males and females. Related to this, there was no emphasis on how these kinds of feelings come with puberty or later in a child's development. In short, it was too detailed about the sex act itself, quite old fashioned and excludes important details about women. This book was a useful foundation, however I think it contains dated views of sex and sexuality which I think will be more harmful than helpful while attempting to provide children with a basic sex education.
on 29 December 2016
A "must have" book for young children. My grandchildren were starting to ask the question "where do I come from?" So I bought the book for my daughter to read to her children. My daughter comments they have great interest and fun in discussing the process with Mum and Dad (as are Mum and Dad!) I think the style of the book allows a sensitive subject to be explored and discussed comfortably by all.
on 18 April 2011
Just purchased this book for my 10 year old son who has Asperger's Syndrome. It contains more information than the simple picture books for very young children, but isn't too complicated for children who are developmentally behind their peers. The illustrations are very humourous and the reference to married couples has been removed. My only criticism is that it does not show any internal diagrams of the male and female reproductive organs for eg the fallopian tubes and womb etc. Apart from this it is a very clear and user friendly book and well worth purchasing.
on 3 September 2015
In many ways a lovely, witty book with many nice explanations. I dislike two elements, however: Firstly, the book starts by referring to a number of "silly" stories about conception and childbirth. Pray - as they are obviously untrue and in the author's own word "silly" - why are they being mentioned at all? At length? Secondly, while certainly not a prude and wanting to breach to topic of intercourse with my child, I feel that the book dwells somewhat too much on it. no less than 6 pages are devoted to arousal and orgasm. I do not find this offensive, but feel that - at least for young children - it is somewhat of an overkill. If you do not mind these two bits, this is a perfectly good book to start sex education.