Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£19.99|
Save £16.00 (80%)
Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
This price was set by the publisher.
When My Ship Comes In: Will she sacrifice her dreams to care for her family? Kindle Edition
Kindle Daily Deals: Books from 99p
Sign-up to the Kindle Daily Deal email newsletter to discover daily deals from 99p.
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top Customer Reviews
Sue Wilsher’s narrative is gripping from page one. She captures the voices of three very different women, linked by blood, and their experiences of life in post war Britain. Flo, and her twin daughters Jeannie and Babs take turns to tell the story, and we experience life through their eyes throughout the novel. There are moments of humour in sharp counterpoint to the drama that balance the narrative elegantly, and the three voices work well together to explore the contrasting experiences of three women who have very different expectations from life. The supporting cast of women are all beautifully realised, too, and demonstrate the rigid social hierarchy of the time beautifully. Maggie Monday, especially, is a complex and layered character whose interactions with Flo are a real highlight in a novel full of highlights.Read more ›
In ‘When My Ship Comes In’ we meet Flo. Flo is a wife, mom of three and hard worker living in the fifties. Life is hard on Flo. Her husband Fred is an abusive, drunk with a bad temper. But times are very different back then. Flo isn’t able to leave her husband, and must endear the things he does. But when Fred loses his job again, he is forced to leave the town he knows to find other work. Thankfully Fred finds a job at Monday’s. There everything is almost too good to be true. At Monday’s they get work for Flo and her girls too, and a nice home where they can live with luxuries Flo and her family has never known. But soon Fred is getting out of control again, and Flo and her family can lose everything they’ve worked for.
Well, this book wasn’t a feel good one for sure. I definitely had a hard time reading this story at times, but I also couldn’t stop until I knew how this story would end. Woman definitely had a hard time back then, and I can’t imagine living the way Flo did. There where moments while I was reading this book, I wanted to scream at Flo to stand up to her husband. But I realize times where very different back then. It’s hard to understand though..
I was happy to read when Flo seemed to grow as a person, and finally started to realize she had to change their life. In the end she did what she had to do, and I actually felt proud of her.
Sue Wilsher definitely has a way of writing, and I’m amazed this book was her first novel.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Sue Wilsher provides a fascinating insight into life in the 1950s for the London Dock workers and their families. Read morePublished 23 hours ago by Amazon Customer
Absolutely loved this story! Each time I picked this book up I fell into Flo's plight as a mum to provide for her family as well as trying to fulfill her own dreams for a... Read morePublished 3 days ago by LJV Howlett
This was a fascinating read about life (for women in particular) in the late 1950s. It's a very engaging story about a working class family whose lives change for the better when... Read morePublished 8 days ago by Mrs R Skelsey-Beard
This book was recommended by a friend and didn't disappoint. I found this to be a gripping story of a type of life in the 1950s so different from my adolescence in Paris in the... Read morePublished 13 days ago by Mrs. Elisabeth Paton
This was such a raw, honest story of life as it really was back in 1959. The story is set at Tilbury Docks, Essex but it could be set anywhere in the country as families, men and... Read morePublished 14 days ago by Kraftireader
Great characters, authentic east London 50s atmosphere, and girl power 50s-style… I loved it!Published 27 days ago by Amazon Customer
A great read - the first pages immediately drag you into the story, and then don't let go until you get to the end. The social commentary is also very powerful. Read morePublished 27 days ago by Amazon Customer
I loved this book and just could not put it down. Evoking the 1950's attitudes and lifestyles so vividly, it describes one woman's struggle to better herself. Read morePublished 1 month ago by Amazon Customer
This book literally changed my life! How many of us still intimidated by men at work, at home, at school and without the first step, realising it you can't do anything against it. Read morePublished 1 month ago by LILLA OSBORNE
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Family Sagas
- Books > Fiction > Historical
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Adoption
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Families & Parents > Motherhood
- Books > Romance > Historical Romance > General
- Books > Romance > Sagas
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > British & Irish > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Women's Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Family Life
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Sagas
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > European
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Contemporary Women
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Historical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Romance
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Women's Fiction > Sagas
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Families > Adoption
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Families > Family Relationships
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Parenting & Families > Parenting
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Historical Romance