Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now
Customer Discussions > Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) forum

What I think Bioware/EA did and why.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 17 Mar 2012 13:34:43 GMT
R. Taylor says:
So, everyone pretty much hates the ending of ME3. People are saying all kinds of things about it, but the option I'm not seeing anywhere is this.

Bioware intended this all along.

They deliberately released an unfinished game with the notion that they could charge for the ending DLC a little way along the line.

Someone in their marketing department came up with this idea because, along with writing actual additional DLC (side missions and so on) it occurred to them that charging extra for something that should have been there all along incurred no production costs.

Let's be clear, I'm saying they deliberately cut out the ending from the game, tacked on some nonsensical Starchild bit to satisfy people, and then planned all along to release the ending content later.

If they had been upfront about this, or even lied by saying something like "You know, the game isn't quite finished, but we'll release it now, then give you the rest later." I could have got along with that.

But instead, they promised us something fantastic, then decided to squeeze some more cash out of us. They promised us a complete game, then shafted us. At no point in the publicity process did they suggest they would add the ending later. It was sold as a complete game. That is the way it was marketed. It was the assumption under which everyone bought it. That it was a finished game.

Now, when they do release the ending content, they have two choices. Either to charge for it, or to give it away free. If they charge, then no doubt a lot of people will buy it just to get that closure. But it will be the worst decision they could make. People are angry about it now. Having bought a game and then to be told "Hey, for xxx MS points you can finish the game!" is just rubbing salt into the wound.

It also sets a very (and I can't stress this enough) very dangerous precedent for game companies. If we allow them to do this to us here, then the floodgates will be opened. All of them will start doing this.

The only way out for Bioware at this point (if they want to save their userbase and retain any loyalty) is to release the ending content for free. Be upfront about what they did, what they hoped to accomplish, and acknowledge publicly that it was a failure. Apologise to the community and pretty much beg forgiveness. Sure, everyone is talking about ME3 right now and there is tremebnndous publicity, but 99% of it is bad.

If they try and hush this up/hope it will all go away then they will lose a lot of respect and no one will trust them anymore. Can you see the release of DA3 NOT suffering as a result?

It's not about having a bad ending to a game. It's about being lied to. It's about being cheated. It's about disrespect of the whole ME community.

Bioware know what they have done. It failed. Time to man up and admit they got it wrong and then proceed to make it right.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  17 Mar 2012
Latest post:  17 Mar 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360)
Mass Effect 3 (Xbox 360) by Electronic Arts (Xbox 360)
3.9 out of 5 stars (509)