What I Saw: Reports from Berlin 1920-33 Paperback – 22 Apr 2011
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Roth's reports form Weimar-era Berlin capture in diamond-glitter prose the booming, brash capital. Here they are returned to life for English-language readers in Michael Hoffmann's splendid translation. --Boyd Tonkin, Independent
About the Author
Joseph Roth's (1894-1939) books include The Legend of the Holy Drinker, Right and Left, The Emperor's Tomb, The String of Pearis and The Radetzky March Michael Hofmann is a poet. As a translator his work includes Kafka's The Man who Disappeared (Amerika). He has also translated Joseph Roth's The Legend of the Holy Drinker, Right and Left and The String of Pearls.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Roth was an Austrian Jewish author who saw clearly the vainglory, disaffection and fanaticism around him and predicted the direction of political life; he died an alcoholic, in exile in Paris in 1939, having published many articles and a series of novels, of which 'The Radetzky March' is the most acclaimed. This is a relatively short collection and an openly subjective one, with a strong flavour of Roth's dryly comic style and his novelist's eye for detail. It reads almost as a time capsule, compiled by an observant, insightful recorder of one of the most vibrant, dangerous times and places in 20th Century history.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Edwardian and Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > Essays, Journals, Letters & True Accounts > 20th Century
- Books > History > Europe > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > Europe > Germany
- Books > History > Europe > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > North America > Early 20th Century 1901-1913
- Books > History > North America > Inter-war Period 1919-1938
- Books > History > World History > 1901-1913
- Books > History > World History > Inter-war Period 1919-1938