Customer reviews

on 9 December 2011
The "Vanguard" series is most certainly, in my opinion, the best original star trek fiction. I've read nearly ALL of the Trek books over the past 15 years or so and along side the DS9 relaunch, the Destiny series and the recent Romulan War books, this is one of the best series, Trek or otherwise, I have ever read. And the success is all the more amazing because it deals with a completely new set of characters and storyline, yes familiar races and one or two familiar faces, but most of the lead characters are new to the Trek world. The fact that I care about their fates just as much as the TV characters is a real testament to the authors, who have written the books; David Mack, Kevin Dilmore, Dayton Ward and Marco Palmieri.

Whenever one of the Vanguard books comes out, I simply have to shut myself off from the world for the weekend and read it from cover to cover. And this one is no different! It takes you on a couple of years and gives you some perspective from Pennington - who I think is my favourite character - as well as Reyes. The plot develops further and once again, I'm left hanging on for the next, and final part of the story!

I think that the Vanguard series has been so good because of the fantastic combination of authors and the mix of science, action and political intrigue. Each small part of the long and detailed story is important and I'm looking forward to reading the whole lot again from the beginning in the next couple of years.

So a request to the "Powers That Be" in the world of Trek fiction. PLEASE DON'T LET THIS SERIES END!! It is without a doubt one of the best things you've ever given us and it would be a shame not to give us more about this fantastic mix of characters and plot!
on 9 January 2013
The Vanguard series is some of the best Star Trek writing. The plot is maintained with verve and precision through the whole series and this book is no exception. Characters are painted in full holovision and the book held my attention throughout.
on 23 April 2016
a brilliant book in this series
on 14 September 2016