on 9 September 2017
I found this book excellent when I was having trouble breastfeeding. It is a well-written, detailed but not confusing account of how to breastfeed and what to do if you're having problems. The section on what to do when you can't breastfeed really helped me with the guilt I was feeling when I couldn't breastfeed due to low supply and helped me let go when I stopped. I would recommend it for yourself or a friend who is struggling, as the guilt that comes when you are not able to breastfeed can be really difficult to bear. I also recommend the book "Lactivism" which is written by a mother who breastfed but later learnt that the superiority of breastfeeding isn't as drastic as one might think.
on 18 July 2017
Down to earth practical advice great for first time mums and any mum struggling to get breast feeding established. I would recommend this to any new mum to be and especially to anyone struggling to breast feed.
on 31 July 2017
Ok with sound advice but abit outdated
on 19 September 2014
Good practical,workable advice that works and author does not make you feel like you're the worst mother in the world if you do have to give the occasional bottle! Would have liked more advice on getting baby latched on as this is the trickiest bit
on 8 June 2017
I love this book. It gave me a useful information. Thank you!
on 3 September 2013
Ok some reviewers seem to have missed that the book describes itself "IF YOU FIND BREAST-FEEDING DIFFICULT and are on the verge of giving up..."
In short I had a nightmare with my first son, I was unable to breastfeed and had mastitis and every other breastfeeding issue going and ended up expressing for 2.5 months until my milk ran out. The 'fashion' 2 years ago (2011) among midwives was to deny the baby ANY bottles or liquid until breastfeeding was established - I stupidly listened to this advice until a trip to A&E with a dangerously dehydrated jaundiced baby at 5 days old.

This time someone recommended Clare so I bought the DVD. From first skin to skin contact I was able to latch and feed my second baby, it felt amazing, he fed well until the third day at home I was in agony, nipple blisters, cracks, stabbing shooting burning pain etc. So I contacted Clare and saw her personally (she is lovely, but no nosense and direct and very clear!). What was I doing wrong that I didn't get from the DVD...? I had the latch pretty well BUT I thought I had the baby close to me - I was actually leaning over him so much to check if he was on correctly I had both the pillow and him about 4 inches away - Clare moved both closer and had me resting on the pillow up against my ribs and the baby's lower shoulder touching the underside of my breast to roll him on to me - the pain was less instantly - if you watch the DVD it's all quite clear on there it's just very hard to see your own position until someone points out what you are doing wrong.

In short I would not be able to feed my baby without this woman's help - the DVD was an excellent starting point. If you're lucky enough not to (like me) have what one Dr described as breasts that are perfectly designed with mastitis in mind, then you might not 'get' how much of a difference this lady can make, breastfeeding day 11 of my newborn and it's getting more comfortable and enjoyable all the time.

There are some very negative and some downright nasty things written about Clare, she's described as 'marmite' you either love her or hate her and some pretty vicious reviews, however, I've seen the DVD and it helped get me 80% of the way, and I've been to her personally - I would not be breastfeeding without her help and so I cannot recommended the book, the DVD and her approach highly enough.

Beware the label applied to her as 'old fashioned' since 'fashion' and breastfeeding are dangerous bedfellows, the 'fashionable advice' has changed a lot in the 2 years between my babies - I did the hospital classes and note that now they are more realistic and closer to Clare's teaching, if you're having problems, bad advice and current fashion in breastfeeding might just land you in A&E - this lady wont. I now have the book and it's a great reference guide to go back to as I progress each day with feeding. No one would talk to me about what to do 2 years ago, no one would discuss milk/ formula, shields, or expressing (including consultants, midwifes, breast support volunteers, health workers I mean everyone - some even said they were "not allowed") - It's a relief to see that there doesn't need to be guilt and stigma out there if you can't feed - I wish I had found this lady 2 years ago but at least I have her this time around and IT WORKS!!!!!!

******3 MONTHS ON UPDATE******* My very happy baby is now 3 months, I'm barely using shields and he is more than double his birth weight, he feeds really well from both sides every feed AND he sleeps through the night!! - don't get bogged down with the details if you're having problems, just position - shape and 'shove' exactly like she says...

*****Almost 2 year update!***** WOW this review is still on here... ok so - perhaps a bit crazy but I'm having baby 3. Baby 2, I breast fed using Claire'e technique for 8.5 months - happily and comfortably - and only had to stop for my return to work. This time I plan to do the same and hopefully won't need Claire unless I have forgotten more than I thought! My second son is now a very fit healthy fast growing boy who eats and sleeps well and will be 2 at the end of summer 2015. I fed him on SMALL size Medela shields for around the first 3 months (ignore Medela sizing - small baby - small mouth - small shields) - he was a small newborn 6lb baby and I am very fair skinned with fair hair so I needed shields for shape at first (fair ladies have less 'shape' - no one tells you it matters at first either!! - but it's not impossible to feed - just may need more help at first), as he grew bigger and stronger we didn't need them any more, or all the pillows! and he got so so much quicker (it used to take around an hour and a half including a 10 min nap / rest for both sides each feed, down to 20 mins both sides once he was bigger) - I breast fed almost exclusively other than during growth spurts - I did use bottles in addition sometimes but expressed also to increase my supply to match his needs (Nuk with rubber teat I assumed was closer to breastfeeding but he actually preferred Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature bottles) - I have honestly not met anyone who had a baby who got the much fabled "nipple confusion" but have known plenty of babies - including my second son - who did refuse the bottle at first when weaning. Good luck with your babies if you are reading this, and if you WANT to do it, and it matters to YOU (and it is up to you) try Clair's method, it worked 100% for me.
on 11 March 2013
Friend bought me this when I struggled with breastfeeding and it was helpful and non judgemental and in turn I have bought it for other friends who needed it.
on 7 September 2006
Having a son who is tongue tied (a condition not mentioned in this book, nor many others), I found breastfeeding incredibly difficult. However, this book did offer sensible, practical advice that allowed me to breastfeed for 5 weeks and enabled me to start bottlefeeding (yes, it's a reality that bottlefeeding is something that many mothers will need to either think about or actually do) with confidence. She has some very sensible advice about engorgement (something that was such a problem for me that I could barely hold my newborn son) and the book is written in a grown up style that says that there are options.
on 12 August 2013
No nonsense and practical methods which work whether breast or bottle feeding. Very helpful guide . Noticed a difference quickly when applying the advice .
on 26 November 2009
I really struggled with breast feeding for a number of reasons (cracked, bleeding nipples, nipples that were flat etc) and I found this book so helpful, as it had a number of suggestions as to how to overcome each of the problems, from how to shape your nipple to help you baby to latch on, to other positions that might work. I found that the NCT class I did before I had my baby didn't cover any of the problems that you could have, it was very much the party line that if it hurt you had a bad latch and just adjust the angle of the baby, but didn't give you any information on what to do if the worst happens and you are in too much pain to feed. This book covered expressing (hand and pump), breast shields and the use of nipple cream (which was absolutely essential for me being able to continue feeding). It also covered formula feeding, which although was not a route I went down in the end, was very difficult to get good information about from either the NCT or the midwives I saw before I gave birth.

For the first 3 weeks I referred to this book constantly and it was really very reassuring for me.