on 14 July 2009
I bought this book after watching the show last week and I'm so glad I did because it's jam packed with delicious recipes. And so far all the recipes on the TV have been in the book which is great news. I must say that reading this book has already changed the way I shop and cook. I've always cooked healthily (I actually like to eat my greens) but now I look much more closely at where things come from. Last night I was in the supermarket and saw that the asparagus I was about to buy was from Peru whereas the broad beans were from just up the road, AND they were cheaper, so I bought those instead and had a delicious meal using a recipe from the book (a simple salad of broad beans and ham, it was fab). I'm really looking forward to trying some more recipes, the scones look amazing, as does the summer pudding. And this weekend I'm going to cook the orangey honeybuns that were on TV last night - the recipe looks pretty straightforward. Sorry to go on, I got carried away. Anyway, I recommend this book to you, it's all the joy of Summer in one place. I only wish Valentine came free with each copy!
on 11 September 2017
Cannot judge: bought as a gift but recipient pleased.
on 19 January 2014
excellent recipes. Have tried 2 or 3 so far and each one has been god. Would recommend. Nothing else to say, so why do these reviews insist on a specific number of words.
on 28 September 2009
Very nice book, quite different from the other recipe books that live on my shelf. It's full of inventive recipes that keep me interested in the kitchen. Occasionally it's frustrating that some of the ingredients are not your usual Sainsbury's stock and require a nice farmers market or healthy allotment, but other than that it's well worth having. A small note that if you have watched the latest series and are buying it for the recipes featured on it, the one you want is the 'more please' sequel to this. Arrived quickly in great condition.
on 29 July 2009
I bought this book after watching Valentines brilliant BBC 2 programme. He is both extremely watchable and in our household a very welcome addition to the TV chef world!. His enthusiasm is clear for all to see and we love the focus on seasonal british, food. He has supplied great ideas for some of our home grown produce, such as the salads, and we are eagerly awaiting the british summer to be kind to try some of the BBQ tips....
on 8 October 2008
I don't buy many cookery books and generally stick to a few tried and trusted recipes but this book made me change my mind. The TV programme is just good fun and Valentine's passion for food and eating is infectious. I am now looking forward to going shopping at the weekend and trying some of the delicious recipes for myself. I'm certainly going to give about 6 people this book for christmas and I know they'll all love it
on 21 August 2009
I particularly liked the mixture of old and new reipes. The blackcurrant cream was a delight, I remember making something similar in the 70's. I also appreciated the quick sauces to go with the barbequed meats. Obviously I haven't tried all the dishes yet and some of the ingrients will be well nigh impossible to obtain in our area e.g. grouse. Having watched the television series, I was disappointed that there was not a section about foraging for wild herbs and salads, and I would also have liked the recipes for using leftovers, but Valentine Warner is an exciting addition to my cook book library.
on 13 September 2009
Sent for this cookery book after watching the television series. Extremely well illustrated,straight forward recipes. The cherry pie recipe is to die for! His Pastry recipes are melt in the mouth,would recommend this to all keen cooks,
on 21 October 2010
Oh Valentine Warner
Take me to your cottage in the woods
Wear those green wellies as we embrace
Feed me on wild shrimp
Tell me my hair reminds you of moss and fallen leaves
Cook me a pie made of animals
I love you.
33 Comments| 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 October 2008
What to Eat Now is a good cook book, and a great read - perfect for dipping in and out of as the evenings get dark and chillier. The focus is on getting the best from seasonal ingredients, and Valentine Warner has a down-to-earth way of describing types of food that I'd normally avoid as 'too complicated', like venison or pigeon, that makes you want to get down to your local butcher and try them out. There's also simple stuff like corned beef hash (delicious!) and a definitive scrambled eggs. His writing style is very jolly and honest, and the recipes are interspersed with squiggly drawings and photos. What really comes across, however, is that Warner is the sort of honestly greedy cook who understands his ingredients well enough to cook 'off the cuff' with what's there, just to see what will happen - and that makes me want to try his recipes even more. Recommended.