on 9 July 2006
This book was one of the first books I read on Cancer which I found to be extremely helpful.

The book is well-structured giving concise and coherent information. For those of you who have received devasting news about Cancer and are trying to find out about it, then this book is a must read.

The First Section explains in detail how your body works, what Cancer is, how it begins and how minerals etc balance the body and fight against Cancer.

The Second Section explains what type of side effects you may experience during your treatment and how your body reacts to the treatment and suggests practical ways to combat them.

The Third Section suggests how eating the right foods can provide maximum benefits for combatting Cancer and the side effects of your treatment and provides solutions to dealing with Underweight/Overweight problems during treatment. This book provides meal suggestions and a comprehensive list of which types of foods are essential to eat and avoid. These are foods which are easy to buy and are not overly expensive. It's also very easy to incorporate into your daily diet.

Overall the book provides a greater understanding of the body and how the right Nutrition can aid the body to fight against Cancer.

Before I read this book I felt as the world had just collapsed on top of me and I had so many questions and fears. However, after reading this book I had a clearer picture of how to move on in a more positive approach.

I give this book 5 stars as I truely believe that this book is essential for anyone with Cancer.
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Having found out I had breast cancer three weeks ago I turned to Amazon to find some books to help me get through it. It is a well know fact that cancer is an opportunist parasite that attacks when you are at your weakest. It is thought that mutant cancer cells attempt to grow in most of us at some point but if you have a good strong immune system performing the way it should, your body kills them before they get a chance to make a home for themselves. Unfortunately, we all have times when our immune system is low and for me I believe it was down to a recent stressful time during which I had my third child. I knew that the best weapons I could have to compliment the medical treatments and give the best possibility of getting through this and winning was to strengthen my immune system so I bought this book along with a couple of others.

First of all the book gives a great indepth description of what cancer is, how is grows, spreads and how it can be treated. Although indepth, it is not too medically intensive that your average cancer sufferer is going to be left with their head spinning, it is written in a very readable way for any layman to understand.

Secondly, it goes into great detail about how various vitamins and minerals (both in foods and in supplements) work in our immune system and how they can help you in your cancer battle.

Lastly, it has an overview of explanations of how chemotherapy etc will affect your health, side effects and what to expect and how your diet can be adjusted to counteract or minimise these effects and stay strong.

I have already started taking liquorice root, ginseng, garlic and cumin to help work as natural angiogenesis inhibiters, vitamin D and Sea Kelp for my glands and hormone balance and function and brewers yeast for a good supply of B vitamins. In addition to this, I have adjusted my diet to exclude all purified sugars and simple carbs and tried not to include too many processed foods. There are diet examples at the back of the book on lower carb diet, low GI diet and a better protein diet. Chemo will destroy some of your muscle tissue in its attempt to destroy the cancer cells so you need to ensure that you get a healthy source of protein but in the right balance. I don't know whether it is psychosematic or what but I do feel a bit better already and I have been feeling exhausted for months.

This book has it all, the other books I bought are Coping with Chemotherapy (new edition) and Healthy Eating During Chemotherapy. I would also highly recommend these books. The former for excellent information and advice on the drugs used for chemotherapy and their side effects etc in great detail and the latter for actual recipes you can use during your chemotherapy. The recipes seem reasonably tasty and will be a godsend when you are lacking in energy to get out of bed never mind think about what you want to eat.

This is a very practical and informative book which should provide you with diet information that should be followed after your cancer is clear to keep your immune system in tip top condition and you give you the best possible chance of fighting cancer and staying clear of cancer.
on 27 June 2010
Having been diagnosed with cancer three months ago i wish i,d seen this book then,already feeling the benifits,both mentaly and phisicaly.great book!!!!.
on 19 April 2013
I felt this book did not suit the British market. It was written by an Ameican for U.S. A. audience. Too much of the book did not refer to the title but an explanation of cancer. The food advice was obviously strongly biased towards U.S attitudes, customs and availability i their supermarkets.
on 11 February 2015
This book was informative on a low level the various cancers and treatments. Where it fails and what I wanted it for was on types of food and meals to eat. Very limited and not ideal on this area on what to eat and types of suitable meals. So if you want a simple outline of your cancer it is suitable but for meal options very limited!
on 17 June 2011
I bought this book when I was diagnosed with cancer. I thought this book was easy to read and not full of medical jargon. After reading this book I changed some areas of my diet and felt the benefits while I was undergoing treatment. This book made me think differently about the foods we eat. I would recommend this book to anyone who is diagnosed with cancer or undergoing treatment.
on 19 May 2011
Good book, shame about the negative name. Might have been better to call it "what to eat if you've had cancer" as most people will be using the advice along with or after conventional treatment. I found the advice about nutrition targeted just right for someone with little nutritional knowledge. Worth having if you have been diagnosed with cancer or have undergone treatment.
on 25 February 2010
Helpful tips but not always easy to produce this if you are on your own.
on 19 December 2013
Having had cancer of the kidneys I found this book very informative and helpful. Again this is a book that I recommend should be in everybody's library as they will come up against cancer at some time in their lives. maybe a family member or whatever.
on 30 June 2013
I found this book very hard going. I didn't understand a lot of the words being used. Wouldn't recommend it.