Format: Paperback|Change

Author Kristin Newman lived a moderate life in America as a sitcom writer – a career which gave her the time and money to indulge her love of travel and, possibly, her ability to run away from home and not face her problems. Her main problem seemed to be her fear of committing to the expected role of wife and mother as long term relationships became serious. I found Kristin to be a witty and self effacing writer and, although it is clear that her humour often masks a real sense of confusion – especially about her childhood – it was refreshing to read a book written by a women which was so honest about her love of romance and, yes, sex.

In this memoir, Kristin travels to Paris, Amsterdan, Moscow (where she meets the simmering bartender, Aleg), back to Paris, Buenos Aires (often!), Rio de Janeiro (nothing profound happens, she assures us, she just had a lot of fun), New Zealand, Iceland, Tel Aviv (where she learns why she is seen as a security risk) and just about everywhere in between. During this book, the author muses on the messages she sends – usually angry or sexual - takes a lot of drugs, gets drunk often, becomes depressed and tries to come to terms with her relationship with her father and her difficult feelings about her stepmother. Women are often judged harshly with regards to behaviour that, in men, is viewed as merely letting off steam. If that is the case, it is fair to say that Kristin lets off a LOT of steam and it is pointless to read this is you are going to be prudish or moralistic about it. However, if you are willing to read this account of her travels – which is very funny, totally open and honest and, I think, extremely brave, then you will enjoy the company of this intelligent and thoughtful woman. An unusual and interesting memoir.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher, via NetGalley, for review purposes.
on 6 October 2015
A really funny memoir about Kristin Newman's sexploits on her yearly travels. As a constantly travelling 20-something, I sometimes identify with her totally (I too spent most of my 20s in a serious relationship and felt like I missed some sort of adventurous spirit), other times not so much! I'm not interested in sleeping with international men as she is, but I like reading about her pursuits and exploits, and I identify with her using travel as a medicine and to discover herself or to run away from problems.

Her writing style is great and extremely honest. Probably the best thing about is that she tells the whole story, warts and all. All the good, bad and shocking experiences with no-holds-barred honesty. Its a bit like your slightly crazy friend telling you her mad stories from a trip, and you nodding and listening from the safety of your bedroom! A fun read for single or travel-obsessed women, or anyone who wants to read about that lifestyle and live it vicariously.
on 27 June 2016
A great title but a dull book. Its neither a travel book nor a laugh out loud tale nor a sexy kiss and tell memoirs nor an Eat pray and find yourself. Its a wet weekend with immature lists of sex that she had and showing off and I stopped reading.
on 7 April 2015
Didn't know what to expect going into reading this book. I thought maybe it was a self help guide to being independent and single. But after reading the sample on my kindle, I realized I couldn't have been more wrong. In a good way! This book is above all things honest. Kristin shares openly about her experiences in a way that is real and relatable but she absolutely does not tell you how to live your life. It's exactly what it says on the tin: a memoir. Very refreshing and actually laugh out loud funny! I couldn't stop myself laughing even in very public settings which at times was slightly embarrassing! However, on a more serious note, her adventures make you reconsider your priorities and how you see yourself in relation to your peers. Just in her telling her story, you can't help but do a bit of introspection along the way.
on 12 October 2015
Was really looking forward to reading this book but found Kristin to be a not particularly likeable character, her continuos attempt to stereo type people from different countries ( Brits breeding with Brits = people with big teeth and no chins ) seriously? Maybe an attempt at humour, didn't tickle me.
on 13 May 2015
Perfect for me as a single girl that just quit my job to go travelling. Some hilarious moments and a lot of invaluable advice on the mess that is life!
on 3 March 2016
This book is great for any girl that has abit of wanderlust. It had me crying with laughter most of the time and it gives you insight into another way you can choose live your life, the highs and the lows. I'd really recommend this.
on 11 January 2015
It's like Eat Pray Love without all the boring eating and praying. Just a great read!
on 9 September 2014
I loved this book. I really identified with her. Very very funny, could not put it down in fact. Please write more Kristin!
on 20 December 2015
Read this while travelling myself and didn't want to put it down. Absolutely loved it! Made me want to travel even more.