on 10 February 2014
This book tells you the meaning of the GI and GL index.It goes on to describe the way our bodies cope with sugar and carbs and the role of insulin.It is not hard to understand,and when you see the reasoning, the whole low GI idea makes sense.She then tells you what you can eat, and what to wary of.The author is not selling a diet, but clarifying it for you.Her simple explanation of how the foods are tested( worldwide,on real people) is brilliant. I have read a few books about low carb, low GI diets and never come across that information before.Well done. It is essential for anyone who has failed to lose weight on other diets or anyone who ,like me ,fears the return (or onset)of diabetes to have a look at this book.If nothing else ,you might decide you no longer want sugar in your life!I also bought a GI /GL counter ,which is compiled of list of foods and meals, using the testing methods described in the book .So you can,if you wish, make low GI/ GL choices based on proper evidence ,not some blurb the manufacturer put on the label .
on 5 March 2014
Easy to understand and is quite motivating. It is helpful on the groups of foods to concentrate on but I was expecting to have some suggested menus to start me off. However, it has made me proactive in menu planning and researching GI tables. I am finding that I am not hungry between meals so making me think for myself has really helped
on 14 December 2014
As with her other books on sugar etc ,the author is very readable and gives quite a lot of information .Anyone wanting to know just what can they eat and why the difference in certain foods on a GI diet will find this book helpful. I recommend it as very easy to read and understand.
on 16 December 2014
This book has some good explanations but it does not have an actual GI chart which is quite necessary to have.
on 25 May 2017
Very easy read. Full of useful info.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2015
At only 52 pages I wasn't actually expecting too much from this book but it was on KU so I thought I'd check it out and yes, it surprised me.
The basics of this plan are explained really well, examples are given and it's really easy to read and understand, which sounds obvious I know but it's not always the case.
I'm completely new to this plan and this book has given me the guidelines and enough information to know I want to give this a try.
While there is no actual GI chart the author explains why:
'I considered compiling a table of the GI and GL of the most common foods, but the Kindle and other e- readers don’t lend themselves particularly well to searching or browsing.'
'Instead I offer my favorite links to GI resources I visit again and again.'
She also gives the title of her preferred paperback on this subject.
on 9 December 2014
Great Easy to understand basic info of how the body reacts to food when we eat it, armed with this knowledge you can then make some simple changes if needs be and should see some amazing results.
on 13 March 2014
I found this a very good guide on how to balance your diet and what to aim for in the achievement of controlling weight and diabetes.
on 15 January 2015
There was not a lot of information and this book is too short, better buy a different book on the gl index.
on 17 March 2016
Found this book really helpful to get started on a low GI diet. It helps by describing what food types to go for and which to avoid or have a limited amount of.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse