- Paperback: 224 pages
- Publisher: Bloomsbury Academic (17 Jan. 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1441136460
- ISBN-13: 978-1441136466
- Product Dimensions: 14 x 1.7 x 21.6 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.2 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 579,338 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Western Esotericism: A Guide for the Perplexed (Guides for the Perplexed) Paperback – 17 Jan 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Wouter Hanegraaff offers the reader here a crystallization of his celebrated scholarship on the history of Western esotericism, from the ancient world to the New Age, as the 'rejected knowledge' of Western religion, culture, and science. Along the way, he strikes all the right notes, introduces key terms and figures, and traces the influence of esotericism on science, art, literature, and music. The result is an impeccable piece of historical analysis that shows why the critical study of Western esotericism should lie at the center of the academy and not in its margins.' --Jeffrey J. Kripal, Author Of 'authors Of The Impossible: The Paranormal And The Sacred' 20120808
About the Author
Wouter J. Hanegraaff is Professor of History of Hermetic Philosophy and Related Currents at the University of Amsterdam, the Netherlands, and President of the European Society for the Study of Western Esotericism.