- Visit our Western Digital Store to see the full range of Western Digital products.
2 year Accidental Damage & Breakdown Coverfrom London General Insurance Company Limited
- Accidental damage cover including mechanical and electrical breakdown.
- E-mail delivery of policy documents within 24 hours.
- If your product cannot be repaired, you choose between a replacement or an Amazon Gift Card to the value of a replacement.
- Cancel at any time; full refund within 45 days, proportional thereafter. Transferable if you sell or gift your product.
- Amazon Protect does not cover products purchased for business/commercial use and only covers products purchased on the same day from Amazon.co.uk. Please read the Policy Summary and Terms and Conditions located on the insurance product page before buying.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATAII 32MB Cache Dual Processor Internal Hard Drive OEM
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Dual processor - Twice the processing power to maximize performance
- 32 MB cache - Bigger, faster cache means faster performance
- Rock Solid Mechanical Architecture
- StableTrac - The motor shaft is secured at both ends to reduce system-induced vibration and stabilize platters for accurate tracking, during read and write operations
- NoTouch ramp load technology - The recording head never touches the disk media ensuring significantly less wear to the recording head and media as well as better drive protection in transit
- Massive Capacity - WD Caviar Black SATA drives are available in capacities up to 1 TB
- Compatible - We perform tests on hundreds of systems and a multitude of platforms in our FIT Lab and Mobile Compatibility Lab to give our customers confidence that our drives will work in their systems.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Compare with similar items
WD 1 TB Performance Hard Drive - Black
WD 1 TB PC Hard Drive - Blue
Western Digital WD10JPLX - 1 TB 2.5 Inch internal hard drive, black
|Shipping||£12.00||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||SideQuest GmbH||FRIEDLICHEN||Amazon.co.uk||Amazon.co.uk|
|Hard Disk Size||1 TB||1,024 GB||1 TB||6,000 GB|
|Size||1 TB||1 TB||1TB||—|
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Please make sure that you've entered a valid question. You can edit your question or post anyway.
WD Caviar Black drives combine a high performance electronics architecture with a rock solid mechanical architecture to deliver the perfect storage solution for fully-loaded PC or maxed out gaming machine
Cool drive operation, no-touch head technology, and leading-edge vibration protection ensure enhanced reliability and sustained data throughput
|Product Description||WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS - hard drive - 1 TB - SATA-300|
|Type||Hard drive - internal|
|Form Factor||3.5" x 1/3H|
|Dimensions (WxDxH)||10.2 cm x 14.7 cm x 2.5 cm|
Power your PC with our top-of-the-line high-capacity drives
WD Caviar Black drives combine a high performance electronics architecture with a rock solid mechanical architecture to deliver the perfect storage solution for your fully-loaded PC or maxed out gaming machine. Cool drive operation, no-touch head technology, and leading-edge vibration protection ensure enhanced reliability and sustained data throughput. And we back it all up with a 5-year limited warranty
Up to 285,700 digital photos Up to 250,000 songs (MP3) Up to 25,000 songs (uncompressed CD quality) Up to 76 hours of Digital Video (DV) Up to 440 hours of DVD quality video Up to 120 hours of HD videoSee all Product description
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Being conscious of the problems some have had with poor packaging, I made a point of:
1. Ordering this item with another item and selecting a single delivery for both, to better ensure good packaging.
2. Specifically purchasing this drive from Amazon themselves, rather than any other merchant, as it appears that at least some of those with packaging problems have bought from other merchants, rather than Amazon.
When my single parcel arrived and I opened it, I was pleased and reassured. The drive itself came in its own box with full sponge padding above and below the drive.
As has been mentioned, there are no cables with this. No power cable and no SATA cable, so these must be bought separately if you have no spares. Beside this, neither does the drive come with any screws with which to fix it in the PC case. Not a problem generally if it's a replacement drive because you just use the screws you already have. If it's an additional drive you need to make sure you have the right screws.
Having said that, even though I have spare screws it appears that the threading on the drive I received is slightly too large, so the screws could not be tightened right up. I just hope this doesn't prove to be any kind of problem in the long run.
As to the rest, Windows recognised the drive immediately, and after a quick format is ready to use. Nice and quiet too.
(Further comment may be added in time if I encounter any problems with the drive in use.)
This Western Digital drive did exactly what it was supposed to, when I installed the jumper the motherboard saw the drive immediately, it installed easily and has been working for 2 weeks now. It is quick, quieter than the Seagate and seems reliable so far.
I like this so much I bought another one as a spare!!
It's quiet too.
I try to be "green" wherever possible, but this Black version must be greener than running 3 smaller drives.
Can't give 5 stars, as 4 weeks use doesn't give much indication of long term reliability, all I can say, is so far, I'm pleased with my purchase.
Thus I ordered one of these, a Western Digital Caviar Black. (My choice of Caviar Black over Green was simply a case of one being in stock, the other not, but the promise of slightly better response times seemed like a good deal too).
I went for Western Digital because the only other 1TB drives on Amazon at the time of ordering were from Seagate. You may or may not be aware that Seagate had been having some serious problems with the firmware of their Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB and 1.5TB drives in 2008. Under certain conditions the drive could go into a secure state which effectively turns it into a paperweight. These firmware problems are supposedly resolved (since January 2009) and "reliable" drives had been shipping for several weeks at the time I purchased this, but I didn't want to risk finding out that Amazon had been sitting on a stock of the affected models, which limited my choice to a Western Digital drive.
So, after previously buying (and still running) Samsung, Hitachi and Seagate drives, what can I tell you about Western Digital in comparison? Frankly, not a lot. Unless you use your hard drive very intensively or run benchmarks on it an average person wouldn't detect any difference between the different models. Only if you swap a 4200 for a 5400 or 7200rpm can you really detect a difference. All most people can talk about is reliability, and there isn't a lot to say there either, since hard drives (at least from the leading manufacturers) are statistically very reliable (Seagate's firmware problems aside). I can't really comment on the dual processor performance of this model either, as it is linked to my laptop externally via lowly USB 2.0, since I don't have an eSata port.
As another aside, many people moan in their hard drive reviews that the capacity never corresponds to that advertised; some put it down to the file system eating a chunk, which is only really a factor on very small drives. The real cause is that a gigabyte can be defined in two ways. Hard drive manufacturers quote their capacities using the decimal version of gigabyte, which is 1000x1000x1000 bytes. Operating systems quote file system capacity and file sizes in binary gigabytes, or 1024x1024x1024 bytes. So, if you're buying a 1TB drive and expecting Windows to display 1024GB of capacity, you're going to be disappointed, since you're actually only going to get 931GB (as Windows counts it).
As for packaging (of which many people have spoken in other reviews on Amazon) my drive arrived in its OEM (original equipment manufacturer) box, with a very healthy amount of foam, so no problems there. Another interesting fact I picked up while going over Samsung's warranty is that to return a defective drive under warranty you must return it in its original box, otherwise they will refuse it. I don't know if all manufacturers have similar conditions, or whether they will accept equivalent packaging, but I will be making the effort to keep hard drive packaging from now on.
So, in conclusion, for the moment I'm happy with the drive, the delivery and the packaging. I'll give it 5 stars for now and hope I don't need to come back and change it in the future.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews