The Welsh Kings: The Medieval Rulers of Wales Hardcover – 1 Oct 2000
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
THE UNTOLD HISTORY OF THE INDEPENDENT NATIVE RULERS OF WALES FROM THE DARK AGES TO THE MIDDLE AGES.
When Edward I's troops forced the destruction of Dafydd ap Gruffudd in 1283 they brought to an end the line of truly independent native rulers in Wales that had endured throughout recorded history. In the early middle ages Wales was composed of a variety of independent kingdoms with varying degrees of power, influence and stability, each ruled by proud and obdurate lineages. In this period a 'Kingdom of Wales' never existed, but the more powerful leaders, like Rhodri Mawr ('the Great'), Gruffudd ap Llywleyn and Llywelyn ap Gruffundd, sought to extend their rule over the entire country.
The author produces revealing pictures of the leading Welsh kings and princes of the day and explores both their contribution to Welsh history and their impact on the wider world. They were, of necessity, warriors, living in a violent political world and requiring ruthless skills to rule in Wales. Yet they showed wider vision, political acumen and statesmanship, and were patrons of the arts and the church.
This work revives the memory of the native leaders of the country from a time before the title 'Prince of Wales' became an honorary trinket in the gift of a foreign ruler. It restores these men to their rightful place among the past rulers of the island of Britain.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wales
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500