Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 July 2012
A very well written and thought provoking book. Ricahrd Hughes is very honest about his problems with alcohol and this book would really inspire and help any alcoholics especially those starting with the AA. Even a non racing fan with drinking problems would be able to relate to this book. A fascinating insight into the life of a top jockey and I thoroughly recommend this book to all horse racing fans.
on 2 July 2015
Sometimes we forget jockeys have a tough life and live with a lot of boundaries. The stories of Richard Hughes sitting in a hot bath for up to an hour each day sounds idyllic but do that everyday and relaxation quickly. Richard's acceptance that he is an alcoholic and will be always an alcoholic will be the one thing that must scare all jockeys, Great read for racing fans.
on 31 July 2012
I grew up on The Curragh in the 80s and in reading the first part of this book has brought back so many memories for me down to hving worked with some of the horses mention albeit later on in the breeding careers...it will make you laugh and cry....an excellent book ......
on 28 June 2012
This a rivoting read and an absoloute must for anyone interested in racing.It gives a very good and close insight into the life of one of the best and most successful jockey's the sport as seen.
on 8 October 2012
Bought for my racing mad boyfriend who has really enjoyed reading about one of the nicest jockeys in the business. Easy to think that successful people have got everything perfect in their lives and then you read something like this and realise we all have our crosses to bear.
on 5 July 2013
I loved the

book but had hard time keeping up with all the names of horses.It gave me an insight into the less public side of racing that I can appreciate and bear in mind when I back a loser.Good luck Richard
Maggienoilly
on 2 February 2013
One of the best racing autobiogs I have read. Thoughtful. insightful and highly informative. All the usual racing bits plus an amazingly honest, self-effacing and candid description of a truly human and deserving champion. A great read.
on 15 November 2013
I really enjoyed this frank insight into the life and mind set of this amazing flat jockey, lots of though provoking stories. He shows just how dedicated top sports men need to be, tall flat jockies more than most. Statistics are inevitable in this kind of book but less in this than some I have read.
on 7 January 2015
Richard was my class mate many years ago back in Kildare. Always a good guy and obsessed with his horses! Great to read about his amazing achievements but also a very honest assessment of the challenges along the way. Wish him all the best for the future.
on 30 December 2012
I bought this for my huband who is an avid race goer and gambler, he has read it from cover to cover in one week. Normally a book will take him up to 2 weeks, so the power of the story is amazing, I then read it and couldn't put it down. A fabulous tale of determination, skill and guts combined with the desire to win at all costs. Bravo to the man.