- Hardcover: 2816 pages
- Publisher: Merriam Webster,U.S.; New edition edition (28 Sept. 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0877792011
- ISBN-13: 978-0877792017
- Product Dimensions: 24.4 x 8.6 x 33 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.8 out of 5 stars See all reviews (10 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 642,906 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Webster's Third New International Dictionary Hardcover – 28 Sep 2008
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The OED has the advantage of scholarship, prestige and preeminence: it is generally regarded as the gold standard in the definition of English words. It achieves this primarily by citing historical books and manuscripts, going back in many cases to the dark ages, when the language itself was evolving. Comprising some 22 volumes and requiring more than three feet of shelf space, it is an impressive addition to anyone's library, albeit at a high cost. It is available, again at high cost, on CD ROM.
W3 is a single volume about four inches wide. It offers a precise definition of every word you will ever encounter (450,000 are listed) except for slang and jargon, obsolete words, technical vocabularies and recent additions to the language. It is not above providing an occasional literary allusion. It defines the English language.
Suppose you want to look up the word "synecdoche." Which of the following scenarios do you prefer?
(1) Find volume 10 of the OED and learn that Wyclif (1338) defined it as "whanne a part is set for al, either al is set for oo par . . ."
(2) Start computer, find CD ROM, load CD ROM, go to OED, step through program, find information, unload CD ROM, turn off computer, file CD ROM, go back to what you were doing in the first place.
(3) Open W3 and read "a figure of speech by which a part is put for a whole (as fifty sail for fifty ships) . . ."
W3 is THE dictionary. It belongs in everyone's home. At the listed price it is an incredible bargain. Highly recommended.
I know that many peoples could find it worst than un english dictionary from Cambridge or Oxford but there are hundred millions of persons who live out of the UK borders and speak, read and write in this beautifull and rich language.
In the future I have intention to buy the "Shorter Oxford..."
Most Recent Customer Reviews
The dictionary is great, only I received just the first volume instead of three.Published 7 months ago by Marek Kulisz
The Dictionary was fantastic as the rest of the order. The book is in perfect form. I think this is one of the best english dictionary never pub. I suggest it to everyone.Published on 18 Dec. 2011 by Raffio
Pluses: Extremely comprehensive in coverage, but:
Minuses: 1.Except for the brief Addenda (fixed to the early pages) this Dictionary is Totally out-of-date -it may be a... Read more